Adding glass tank bracing

Idealconcepts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Moved
I have a 36Lx15Wx17H tank that I needed to buy a glass hood for, it was a custom size so I went ahead and bought 3 other pieces to help re-enforce the tank. I bought one piece about 6-7 inches wide to fit the top middle of the tank (basically a center brace) and two pieces 2 inches wide to re-enforce the top outsides of the tank (basically corner braces). I have aquarium silicone already and plan on using masking tape to make nice clean edges. My question is what is the best way to silicone the 3 pieces without having it fall and break the tank bottom? Should I flip it sideways and silicone everything. My assumption is if I have the tank in the normal position and try siliconeing the pieces, since it takes the silicone hours to dry, the glass and silicone would eventually slide down to the bottom of the tank, or worse just drop and break the bottom of the tank. So what are your guys/girls suggestions? Sideways, upside down, any other way?

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Why not leave the tank in the normal position use mag floats to hold the pieces in place?

Idealconcepts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Moved
Great suggestion repair, only problem is I have only one mag float, so I would need to buy an additional 5 to do all 3 pieces at once. Any other suggestions?

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
if you have a couple clamps of any sort, vise grips, etc etc. Just use them with a piece of wood on either side of the glass and in between the clamp. This way you know nothing is going to move.

Idealconcepts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Moved
Thanks guys. The glass was a pretty tight fit, so I just siliconed it and used wood landscape spikes, cut to the right size to keep it up. It work and I had it dry for three days. I am doing a third water test right now, before I empty it and bring it inside. Thanks everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store