adding glass to rubbermaid "tanks"

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I would be curious if anyone has every done this with the plastic rubbermaid tubs or the galvantized steel ones. Is it possible?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In theory you can put a glass or acrylic viewing window in any container, tub, tank, box etc etc. It's how you attach it that's the critical part. Firstly due to the flat rigidity of the viewing panel it helps considerably if the area where the panel is going is also very flat. So curved containers, even slightly curved, would cause you grief.

Glass is brilliant with silicone, acrylic isn't. Then it will depend on what the material of the "container" is made from, and whether that is good with silicone or not. If both panel and container are compatible with the bonding agent, then it's easy. If not you have to go down the route of drilling the viewing panel (acrylic is easier if this is the case) and attaching it to the container with nuts and bolts, with a layer of bonding agent in between to act as a gasket/seal.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Remember galvanized tanks are toxic to fish in the long term. They are cheap and tempting, but it isn't worth the risk. If you do go that route epoxy it as much as you can, but you still will probably have issues. I would look at the poly tanks if you want to put a window in something large. Better than that I would look at fiberglass. These guys ( Fiberglass Tanks Fabricating from American Eagle for Aquaculture and Agriculture and Industry (americaneaglecanoes.com) ) do custom work and I have heard it is very affordable. They also have a lot of molds if you want something they have made before. I haven't used them though.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Remember galvanized tanks are toxic to fish in the long term. They are cheap and tempting, but it isn't worth the risk. If you do go that route epoxy it as much as you can, but you still will probably have issues. I would look at the poly tanks if you want to put a window in something large. Better than that I would look at fiberglass. These guys ( Fiberglass Tanks Fabricating from American Eagle for Aquaculture and Agriculture and Industry (americaneaglecanoes.com) ) do custom work and I have heard it is very affordable. They also have a lot of molds if you want something they have made before. I haven't used them though.
how affordable are we talking? like 100-500 dollars?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store