Adding sand safely

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
90G tank, one fully grown Oscar.

I have white pool filter sand I want to add to my substrate. I'm concerned that my Oscar's huge eyes might get scratched or abraded in the process. What is the best method to avoid this?

Thanks!

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
90G tank, one fully grown Oscar.

I have white pool filter sand I want to add to my substrate. I'm concerned that my Oscar's huge eyes might get scratched or abraded in the process. What is the best method to avoid this?

Thanks!
Just make sure you rinse it very well and add it slowly to the water. When I added my sand, I drained 3/4 of the water (not necessary) and placed the sand scoop by scoop with a bowl into the tank. Very slowly so I didn’t kick up too much dust. Once that was complete, I laid the same bowl in the tank, placed the hose pointing at the bowl, then refilled.
I waited about an hour before turning on all the circulation pumps to let the dust settle, and let the overflow take care of the floating bits. My overflow runs into a fine filter sock so no fear of it getting into the return pump.
All the fish were fine and it cleared up very quickly like this.
Rinsing it WELL is really the key.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Just make sure you rinse it very well and add it slowly to the water. When I added my sand, I drained 3/4 of the water (not necessary) and placed the sand scoop by scoop with a bowl into the tank. Very slowly so I didn’t kick up too much dust. Once that was complete, I laid the same bowl in the tank, placed the hose pointing at the bowl, then refilled.
I waited about an hour before turning on all the circulation pumps to let the dust settle, and let the overflow take care of the floating bits. My overflow runs into a fine filter sock so no fear of it getting into the return pump.
All the fish were fine and it cleared up very quickly like this.
Rinsing it WELL is really the key.
Did the same, drain way low, bowl in, refill and clear in less than an hour.

Like he said rinsing is key.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store