Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Craig
Occupation
IT
I'm looking to buy some software to help me with my photos, but not sure what will give me the best bang for the buck. I'd like to be able to clean them up make some adjustments, organize them, remove redeye, etc.,. I have seen that people are using CS3 (kind of expensive and wife might kill me if i bought it). Have looked at Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.3., thinking this might be the way to go.

What do you all recommend? Are there different categories of software for dealing with digital photos? Where does Photoshop differ from Lightroom?

I have a copy of Gimp, not too crazy about its interface. Seems more like an editing program versus photo clean up.

I want to spend no more than $500, your thoughts?

paradise

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
Buy used photoshop on ebay or craigslist, and upgrade to the new version, should be well under that $500 limit.

There is NOTHING that compares. LIghtroom is more of an organizing program with some editing. Photoshop is photographer's dream.

Rupey

Feeder Fish
Oct 16, 2007
WI
Real Name
Jon
Check out lpstore.ws for most any software you need. I bought photoshop cs3 for $45. I couldn't believe the prices they have. I have bought a few programs from them and never had any problems. It is download only so no manuals or anything but you can get a few books online and still be below $100.

OHFISH

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Craig
Occupation
IT
I looked at what LPSTORE has. Unbelievable prices. How do they do it so cheap? The lowest prices I could find for CS3 had been on EBAY at about $300. On LPSTORE it is $45 and $55 for extended. Too good to be true, what's the catch? Has anyone else purchased from LPSTORE?

gonzobluefuzz

Feeder Fish
Mar 12, 2006
Ottawa ON CA
Real Name
Gord
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Tech
OHFISH;73506; said:
I looked at what LPSTORE has. Unbelievable prices. How do they do it so cheap? The lowest prices I could find for CS3 had been on EBAY at about $300. On LPSTORE it is $45 and $55 for extended. Too good to be true, what's the catch? Has anyone else purchased from LPSTORE?
Did a quick search.......URLs w/ .ws extensions are typically from Samoa. (REF) (I'm wonder what Samoan anti-piracy/ internet fraud policies are) Additionally reading through their support/FAQ pages they make reference to the fact that refunds could take 30 months (REF) that sets off alarm bells in my little head. I've always been of the opinion that if it seems too good to be true.....it probably is. I'm personally a little skeptical about this one but maybe I'm just a little over cautious.

Despite the attractive price I would personally pass on this one, and give my credit card info to a more expensive but reassuring source.

I may be way out of line........just my $0.02 worth,

Cheerz

Gord

Rupey

Feeder Fish
Oct 16, 2007
WI
Real Name
Jon
I was very skeptical at first also. I got the link from a few friends who bought software from them without any problems so I figured I would try it. I had no problems downloading and installing the programs. You do get the registration numbers on the photoshop. I didn't have any problems registering it with adobe. So could it be pirated if you can register it with the company? Not sure how that works?

OHFISH

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Craig
Occupation
IT
Well ... I purchased Photoshop CS3 from EBAY. Paid a bit more, and received all the goods. Registered it and installed it on my two systems as per the license.

I'm considering trying LPSTORE just for kicks to see what I get. At prices under $50 for a lot of things, I only have $50 to lose. I'm thinking to use a VISA gift card for the purchase so as to not give out my credit card info.

RegEdit

Feeder Fish
Feb 6, 2010
Santa Monica, CA
They are clearly selling pirated software that you can also download (illegally) for free on PirateBay. So this site is for people who aren't savvy enough to figure out how to use PB. You had better watch your credit card charges like a hawk! Some bad people have your credit card info.

Look on SiteAdvisor.com Someone says that this site is selling THEIR software as a download - Their software is NOT supposed to be available as a download!

Currently the site is being hosted by a WSP in Moscow. Go figure....

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Real Name
Alex
Honestly do what others recommended. I tried the 30 day Trial of Photoshop Light-room, and I liked it, but like others said, it is not an advanced Program, and you will need a more advanced version of Photo-Shop to do more "advanced" editing.

Adobe does charge quite a bit for their Photoshop programs, but they are in some cases worth it, the programs are possibly the best photo editing software out there!

aloysiuscarl

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2010
canada
Real Name
aloysiuscarl
New Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom™ software is the professional photographer's essential toolbox, providing one easy application for managing, adjusting, and presenting large volumes of digital photographs I tried the application linked to by Matt on my old 40D and found it way way off the mark. Fortunately the only images in Lightroom at that time were from the 40D making it easy to see just how many images had in fact been taken. so you can spend less time in front of the computer and more time behind the lens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store