Adonis aggression

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
My Adonis is about 6 inch (Body) and recently became a dick. It chases all the other tank mates away when food hits the water. It's the only pleco in the tank. Any ideas what to do? What if I switched it for a sunshine? Would it behave the same as it matures?

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Two things come to my mind after reading this.

1st - Adonis are well known for being the biggest Jerk in the pleco family. Not too many ways to change that(read 2nd thing).

2nd - The best suggestion I can give is to give him lots of food(a fat pleco becomes a lazy one). When they chase the other fish during feeding, they(plecos in general) believe all that food is theirs and they are protecting it.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I once had a 14in common pleco that would kill tank mates. He crushed both of my American flathead cats and the other common pleco. And he also killed my 14in giant gourami. Only thing that stopped him was when he attacked the Oscar by stabbing him in the side with a spine. Least to say the Oscar did not like this one but and proceeded to suplex the pleco immediately and start beating him into submission. Well after his beating he never did act out again but I also don't suggest this in any way either. I'll add a couple pics of the pleco after the Oscar got thru with him. Least to say its not pretty.

IMG_20181109_165131885.jpg

IMG_20181109_161512111.jpg

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback.

After a bit of observing that damn fish, I've decided to get rid of it sometime soon. And I was wondering why my BGK never comes out anymore. Pity though, the bristles are growing out nicely. Anyone in SG interested in a Adonis?

Also is there a Pleco that maxes out around 18" that plays nice? Not into wood eaters, don't want to handle the mess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store