Adult piranha with juveniles

Okinawahai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hello all,
I have a single 8inch red belly in a 75 gal. I've only had luck finding little juveniles as potential tank mates. Just wondering how this would work out for those who have experience. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all,
I have a single 8inch red belly in a 75 gal. I've only had luck finding little juveniles as potential tank mates. Just wondering how this would work out for those who have experience. Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard
SandNukka15 SandNukka15

Reactions: SandNukka15

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Glad to see another piranha keeper in the hobby... rare breed these days lol.

What size are the juvies?... imo if they are smaller than 6 inches I wouldnt bother. The 8 incher already claimed that tank and adding juvies wont help. If you want a small shoal your best bet would be to sell the 8 incher off. And get a group of 3-4 small reds. I would take all decour out of the tank except substrate. This helps aggression by not giving them territories. Reds are docile but u never know on individual personalities of these fish.

The 75 gallon would hold the 3-4 juvie reds for a couple years just make sure u have good filtration and water change schedule.

Eventually the reds will need a 125. If u plan on upgrading to a 125 than you can up the shoal to 6-8... which I believe is a good number

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store