Advice on half established 55 gallon tanks?

ShamFish97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2019
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area - please move it to the correct area if it is.

I've had one of these tanks running for a month or two, and the other coming up on a month. I started out with stability, and admittedly used it wrong over time. Since then I've wisend up and have been relying on 50% water changes and ML-XT along with stress coat and prime.

I've been testing my water frequently, here are a few different tests.

This was on Sunday, when all of the fish were in one 55g.

Since then, I've done two 50% WC's.

This is after splitting the stock up, and doing the second 50% WC.

I did a test again when I got home today. The first image is the main tank, the second is the tank with the rest of my stock that i've had running for a while without any fish after a major cleanout.

This is my tank stocking list:

55 Gallon #1 (left)
Fish
- Albino Bristlenose Pleco [2]
- Molly Fry [40-80]
- Ember Tetra [5]
Plants
- Wysteria [2]
- Mossimo Ball [8]
- Watersprite [2]
- Hornwort [1]
- Java Fern [5]
- Malaysian Red [1]
- Monte Carlo [1]
- Water Lily [1]

55 Gallon #2 (right)

Fish
- GloFish [4]
- GloDanio [4]
- Dalmatian Sailfin Molly [1M, 3F]
- Black Molly [1M, 2F]
- Gold Dust Molly [1M]
- Common Pleco [1]
Plants
- Hornwort [1]

Any ideas on where to proceed? Should I do another waterchange or wait? I have not done a fish out cycle, both of these tanks unfortunately were fish in cycled. I'll be picking pure ammonia up for my bigger tanks I set up after this, though.

I've been using water directly from the spigot outside, adding prime/ML-XL to the tank as well as tap water conditioner before I begin filling the 50% I removed.

I've had minimal fish deaths in these tanks. None of the adults have passed, only a fry here and there most likely from being weak. Maybe a total of 3 or 4 I've picked out from the 80 or so I have currently. Mostly because I've been proactive about water changes, sometimes several times a week.

Picture/Video more details of my tanks is in my signature.

ShamFish97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2019
Welcome aboard

I personally would hold off on feeding the fish and do a water change asap on 55 #2.
How long do you suggest I hold off on feeding the second 55? And should I continue with the first? The nearing 100 fry will need a lot of powder fish food to keep them growing.. I have a new batch I'm guessing around 30-40 and then 20-30 adolescents..

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How long do you suggest I hold off on feeding the second 55? And should I continue with the first? The nearing 100 fry will need a lot of powder fish food to keep them growing.. I have a new batch I'm guessing around 30-40 and then 20-30 adolescents..

The adult or juvenile fish should be ok for a week . If possible remove some fry .

ShamFish97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2019
The adult or juvenile fish should be ok for a week . If possible remove some fry .
The main 55 has only fry, adolescents, 5 ember tetras, and 2 albino bristlenose plecos.

the secondary 55 has the adult mollies, and glofish/danios, and the 4in common pleco.

ShamFish97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2019
Hold off feeding on both. The first 55 is almost cycled the nitrite ppm should start to lower.
So wait until this next thursday to feed both tanks? Should I do a final feeding tomorrow and another water change before allowing them to fast?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So wait until this next thursday to feed both tanks? Should I do a final feeding tomorrow and another water change before allowing them to fast?

Don't feed do a wc on both retest the #1 55 Sunday and hopefully the Nitrite level is 0 ppm. If Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 ppm then feed but don't over feed.

Reactions: ShamFish97
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store