Advice on stingray/discus tank

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
I currently have a planted discus tank. A few years ago I had a hystrix and a retic set up I swapped over to the planted discus tank and have regretted it ever since. I love my discus and want to add stingrays with them. I have read on here that some of had luck and others have not. Here’s the questions: 1) with a planted tank I have swimming pool filter sand. Will the swimming pool filter sand be ok? 2) What about the snails?! When I had stingrays before they were constantly pulling up sand and crushing it in there mouths. Do I need to do a full tear down of my tank? I am going to remove the plants and a few pieces of driftwood to make room for the stingrays. Thanks in advance.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
You can expect the stingrays to uproot your plants and mess around with the sand. If you want to keep plants then I suggest having anubias or other rhizome plants or have stem plants in flower pots. The pool filter sand will be perfectly fine, though. Another thing to expect is for stingrays to eat snails. Hope I answered your questions

Reactions: Matteus

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
You can expect the stingrays to uproot your plants and mess around with the sand. If you want to keep plants then I suggest having anubias or other rhizome plants or have stem plants in flower pots. The pool filter sand will be perfectly fine, though. Another thing to expect is for stingrays to eat snails. Hope I answered your questions
Thanks. Is it going to be ok for the stingrays to eat the snails? Oh and the plants I am going to remove anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store