Advise needed: ATFs shoal or comm

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Coming close to 3 years now. Giving a quick update here (and hopefully more in the future).

The VATFs and FATF didn’t made it past the 2 year mark due to glass crashing and in 2 cases, jumped from the tank.

The GAFT has grown now to about 22 inches plus or minus. It is now housed in a 8 x 4 x4 FGT with a monster hystrix and some cichlids.
Appreciate the update. Surprised that the GATF is the only one that has remained. In my experience, I seem to lose 10+ GATF to 1 VATF when it comes to suicide.

Why does the butti look like it is sown from two different fish?

Is the window glass or acrylic? If acrylic, I'd be afraid to put any pleco, let alone such a large one, in there for the fear of them scratching up the acrylic with their teeth.

Reactions: Red Aimara

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Appreciate the update. Surprised that the GATF is the only one that has remained. In my experience, I seem to lose 10+ GATF to 1 VATF when it comes to suicide.

Why does the butti look like it is sown from two different fish?

Is the window glass or acrylic? If acrylic, I'd be afraid to put any pleco, let alone such a large one, in there for the fear of them scratching up the acrylic with their teeth.
I am actually quite surprised too. Perhaps being the sole GAFT saved it from same species aggression. But I do it being chased once in awhile before.

The butti was a feeder that got disfigured by my batch of Pygos last time. Outlived and outgrew them.

Tank is glass front. Acrylic tanks are almost non existent at this part of the world due to its cost.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Another update.
9FED1E8B-046A-4570-AAA9-A113A5E96CF5.jpeg

B38554CE-BC3B-4BCF-BB63-8B5FFC5ADF08.jpeg

It’s about 24-25 inches estimated. Diet is sliced sardines about 4 times a week.Set myself a tough target to get it to 30 inches by end 2020. LOL! Probably need to do two times WC weekly to stand a chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store