Aequidens group in a 75?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I'm moving in a couple weeks and I'd like to give my planted 75 a bit more of a focused look. Was thinking about one individual of several acara species. The stock is currently:
Aequidens pulcher x 1
Aequidens diadema (or metae, I can't tell) x 1
Caquetaia myersi x 1
BGK x 1
10 various tetras
Brochis splendens x 3
6 individuals of various smaller pleco species

I was thinking of changing things to:
Aequidens pulcher x 1
A. diadema/metae x 1
A. portalgrensis x 1
A. tetramerus x 1
6-8 tetras
3 brochis cats
And probably getting rid of one of the plecos

My main concern is that the tetramerus will eventually get too big and mean for everyone else. As things are, the yellow and blue acara have their moments but they're all bark and no bite. Is this planned stocking doable or does anyone else have any similar stocking ideas?

Reactions: Kevin@TUIC

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I suspect no comments yet because not many have tried such a mix. Neither have I, but my thinking based on what I know (or have experienced) with Aequidens species would be: As juveniles maybe, if they all consent to get along, which is unpredictable imo. As adults, not much real estate in a 75 for a mix of Aequidens species imo.

Best I've got unless someone comes along who's tried a mix like that in a 75. :)

Reactions: Zanzag

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I suspect no comments yet because not many have tried such a mix. Neither have I, but my thinking based on what I know (or have experienced) with Aequidens species would be: As juveniles maybe, if they all consent to get along, which is unpredictable imo. As adults, not much real estate in a 75 for a mix of Aequidens species imo.

Best I've got unless someone comes along who's tried a mix like that in a 75. :)
This is understandable, tetramerus is the most concerning of the bunch and i can't find any good info on the species anywhere online as it is.

You're not wrong, I didn't realize how tight a 75 was until i got one and put cichlids in it.

I feel like worst case scenario I will give it a shot and end up giving a local shop a nice beefy adult acara or if things dont work out down the line, lol.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

I agree with the above.
I consider a 75 gal a grow out tank for juvies, only large enough for a pair, to trio of one species of cichlid, even less aggressive types like the Aequidens group, when adults.
Just a pair of Andinoacara pulcher with the dithers and cats would be enough for that size tank to me.
By the way, beside pulcher being move to Andinoacara, portalgrensis has now been moved to the genus Cichlasoma.

Reactions: dr exum

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I agree with the above.
I consider a 75 gal a grow out tank for juvies, only large enough for a pair, to trio of one species of cichlid, even less aggressive types like the Aequidens group, when adults.
Just a pair of Andinoacara pulcher with the dithers and cats would be enough for that size tank to me.
By the way, beside pulcher being move to Andinoacara, portalgrensis has now been moved to the genus Cichlasoma.
Thanks, that does make sense. I can see how a pair would fill out a tank of this size.

I can never keep up with these latin names... At least you guys know what I'm talking about.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thanks, that does make sense. I can see how a pair would fill out a tank of this size.

I can never keep up with these latin names... At least you guys know what I'm talking about.
With the common use of DNA sequencing, the relationships where we once used physical characteristics to group species within a genus have fallen away, because DNA traces true ancestral lineage. So just because two fish look similar, doesn't mean they are as closely related as once thought.
On the limited resource concept, what we as humans see what appears as a large box of water in a room, but to a cichlid, that box, may appear to be only a puddle, in their play book of needs.
I grew out a group of about a dozen Cichlasoma dimerus in a 75 gal from 1/2" juvies, it worked for about a year, but once they hit @4", as maturity set in, that space for a group became obviously too small, aggression being the barameter.

I have been told by more than a few aquarists that Andinoacara (once Aequidens) coeroleopunctatus always seemed killed each other in 55 to 75 gallon tanks.
I have had a group of a dozen, 3-5" wild caught mature individuals in a 180 gal, and aggression has been minimal over the last year.
At first, there were 14, with 3 largest males vying for alpha status, the largest male killed one and drove the other to a suicidal leap on the lawn, ever since peace has been the norm.
D0ECC362-EA84-428F-8BEF-164EAF9C42BC_1_201_a.jpeg
1B3EBC16-48E9-4B6E-B81D-BD337DC7AE07_1_201_a.jpeg
Sight line breaks also help.
83B4F741-70E0-48EF-9EBA-936EAB7343AB_1_201_a.jpeg
2FBB7725-F666-4C82-B061-AFC3AF7FA5AA_1_201_a.jpeg

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
With the common use of DNA sequencing, the relationships where we once used physical characteristics to group species within a genus have fallen away, because DNA traces true ancestral lineage. So just because two fish look similar, doesn't mean they are as closely related as once thought.
On the limited resource concept, what we as humans see what appears as a large box of water in a room, but to a cichlid, that box, may appear to be only a puddle, in their play book of needs.
I grew out a group of about a dozen Cichlasoma dimerus in a 75 gal from 1/2" juvies, it worked for about a year, but once they hit @4", as maturity set in, that space for a group became obviously too small, aggression being the barameter.
I have been told by more than a few aquarists that Andinoacara (once Aequidens) coeroleopunctatus always seemed killed each other in 55 to 75 gallon tanks.
I have had a group of a dozen, 3-5" wild caught mature individuals in a 180 gal, and aggression has been minimal over the last year.
At first, there were 14, with 3 largest males vying for alpha status, the largest male killed one and drove the other to a suicidal leap on the lawn, ever since peace has been the norm.

Sight line breaks also help.
I really appreciate this info. Definitely makes me question my stocking. And its nice to hear actual anecdotes of how groups of these fish have done together. I've done my best to break up the tank with plants and wood for the two cichlids already in the there but territory and dominance issues do seem like they'd become more of a problem as they age. Maybe I'll stick with the two I have or opt for several of some more peaceful species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store