Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

AFFORDABLE LIGHT RECOMMENDATIONS

Discussion in 'Planted Tank and Aquascaping' started by Mike11694, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Mike11694

Mike11694 MFK Members

Mike Wolfe
      Thursday at 9:32 PM
      Looking for recommendations on decent quality brands of light that aren't super expensive. Just getting into planted tanks, looking for a 75 gallon tank, some people refer me to eBay but unsure as to the quality of certain brands.

2. Fat Homer

Fat Homer MFK Members

41 minutes ago
      Cheapest way is to rig yourself something up with a ballast that supports T5 tube lighting...

Great way to start, and if you dont like planted tanks not too much money out of pocket...

3. Mike11694

Mike11694 MFK Members

Mike Wolfe
      I have the knowledge and skills to probably accomplish this idea, but was thinking something more ready made

4. fisheatfish

fisheatfish MFK Members

Ty
      Wednesday at 10:58 PM
      Going cheap with lighting in a planted tank is not the way to go. I went that route and realized I wasted money. Spend good money on quality lighting and you will not regret it.

5. Mike11694

Mike11694 MFK Members

Mike Wolfe
      I didn't say cheap, I just want the most for my money. So many brands to choose from.

6. chanathon

chanathon MFK Members

Today at 5:32 PM
      The guys at plantedtank forums are saying the beamswork dhl series is pretty decent with its PAR ratings.

7. tiger15

tiger15 MFK Members

Today at 7:13 PM
      No need to buy the named brand. Ebay sell many LEDs at great value. Just make sure there is rating on the lumen and that each diode is at least 0.5w. Watch out for unrated or low diode LEDs which can be very dim and is useless for planted tank.

I bought two of these strip LED for my 75 planted tank with total lumen equivalent to a double 48" T8 shop light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-48-LED-L...hash=item3d2fb2b5e1:m:mPHvG4uNw2HEPubEFdu-y6Q

GamerChick5567 likes this.
    8. skjl47

skjl47 MFK Members

Jeff
      Today at 8:46 PM
      Hello; I have made these suggestions before and they will give good light and will be cost effective. They have been however somewhat dismissed for what I think were style reasons.

First for around $35 get one of the LED shop lights now available. I picked one up last year with the notion of replacing a fluorescent unit over my work bench. I put it on aa four foot tank to see how well it lit up and have left it there. The live plants have done very well. I have had to harvest some plants to open up space twice so far.

The other thing I have done in the last few years is to convert my old hoods to tank the screw in LED bulbs. This also has worked well both in terms of live plants and a decent look.

GamerChick5567 likes this.
    9. Danyal

Danyal MFK Members

Wednesday at 11:49 AM
      there's a knockoff of the finnex 24/7 that I picked up for my 20g vivarium and used with another LED bar for good results(turned my Selaginella moss pink) then I gave it to my mom for her 20g planted tank and with just the one fixture it's done phenomenally well for her mostly low light plants.
      There is a 48" version for 50$ or if you've got a bigger budget some of the beamswork fixtures are incredible, like the 1w DHL or .5w Pent, that are pretty universally praised within the planted tank and vivarium communities. My personal favorite is the 3w versions because they are so incredibly intense but you should only use them for high-light demanding plants, they tend to nuke plants that aren't as tolerant of higher light levels. For a tank as wide as a 75g you might consider using 2 fixtures for good coverage.