African Brown Knife growth rate

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
I currently have 2 African brown knives in a 20g grow out/quarantine tank.

Both are sitting at around 2.5-3” and so far fully healthy. They are going in a heavily planted 120g tank with a green severum and a green phantom pleco. The severum is 7” (just measured in net), the green phantom is in a different quarantine tank and is about 3.5-4”. Given the severums size, I want the knives to grow a bit more before adding them.

So does anyone have an idea how long it will take to get them 2.5-3” to around 5+”? The QT tank is a 20g high, planted, 50% weekly WC, 2 HOB rated for 20g each, fed 2x a day of a varied diet (shrimp pellets, blood worms, live black worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, scratch made veggie flakes.)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The feeding sounds good. On 4-6x a week rich pellet feeding and <10 nitrates I see little growth. In the wild the main parts of their diet are insects, crustaceans and algae/detritus. I'm also thinking that growth is highly variable based on locality and the feeding they got early in their life. All African knives are wild caught, and I see a definite difference in colour and size between my 3 batches from different shops. Hopefully with your diet they'll grow fast, fingers crossed. :)

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
The feeding sounds good. On 4-6x a week rich pellet feeding and <10 nitrates I see little growth. In the wild the main parts of their diet are insects, crustaceans and algae/detritus. I'm also thinking that growth is highly variable based on locality and the feeding they got early in their life. All African knives are wild caught, and I see a definite difference in colour and size between my 3 batches from different shops. Hopefully with your diet they'll grow fast, fingers crossed. :)
Thank you so much! Here’s hoping I won’t have to wait too long!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store