African Butterfly Fish and Halfbeaks

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
Pretty sure I already know the answer to this one folks, but even Google hasn't been any help to me.

Has anyone stocked a tank with Halfbeaks & a Butterfly Fish? I am aware that the Butterfly Fish inhabits strictly the surface of the water and is predatory towards small fish that share this space. Halfbeaks should max out at about 7cm (2.75") & Butterfly Fish Between 12-22cm (4.72-8.66"). Too big for a meal, or just right in your opinions?

Putting together a list and ironing out the kinks.

Any suggestions or passing on experience would be really helpful to me

edit: the halfbeaks available to me can live comfortably in the same PH I can provide for the BFF.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I don’t know where you’re getting your information but african butterfly fish most certainly do not get 8 inches. You can expect 4 inches.

I can’t help you with your question directly but I can tell you that african butterfly fish do best either by themselves or in groups of 6 or more.

Reactions: dr exum

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I believe the African butterfly fish would likely eat a half beak. They are really slow growers compared to the halfbeaks. Their mouths can open wide enough to swallow the halfbeak. Atleast attending it. I’d suggest not mixing the two.

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
I don’t know where you’re getting your information but african butterfly fish most certainly do not get 8 inches. You can expect 4 inches.

I can’t help you with your question directly but I can tell you that african butterfly fish do best either by themselves or in groups of 6 or more.
Yeah I thought that seemed on the large side in comparison to any I've ever seen; tbh I got that measurement from an online retailer and as I've never kept one before I just went with it.

Everyone else, thanks for confirming my suspicions, I already 'knew' but was throwing out a hail Mary just incase.

I'm pretty sold on the halfbeaks so I'm off on a quest to nail down another odd ball for that end of the aquarium.

Cheers!

Reactions: fishhead0103666
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store