African river biotope ideas

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
I've moved my SA community to a 75 gal and am looking into turning my old 38 into an African mini monster setup of sorts. The word "biotope" is being used pretty loosely here though, as I'm not trying to recreate a single river, just using only African fish and plants. So far there are no fish in the tank, just some Anubias, Bolbitis, and java ferns that are starting to take hold.

So far the plan is to add my african brown knifefish and a leopard Ctenopoma, but I'm considering a senegal bichir (heard the captive bred ones stay pretty small) and some sort of scavenger/algae eater. Loaches would be great if any African species were easy to come by, but alas, they're not.

Anyone got any ideas for something similar or some sort of algae eating fish?

And would the bichir be okay in the tank, or would it be too small? It's a 36"x12" footprint. If not, I'll probably go with a silver Distochodus.

Lastly, are there any low maintenance African plants I could add? I know the java fern doesn't belong, so I'll have to replace it. I'm thinking of going with several different Anubias species, but are there any crypts or something similar that I could add?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
The knifefish is going to be very tight in there as they potentially get 12". Keep a close eye on him but he should stay around 9". The ctenopoma will also be big for 38gal but should be fine. They are mainly nocturnal so give him some good hiding spots and he may be more active during the day with dimmer lighting.

As for tank mates, you could do a senegal as it would appreciate the same tank conditions - lower light, well planted with driftwood etc. For catfish you can look into synodontis. If looking at S. eruptera consider only one as the tank is at it lower size limit not due to fish size, but due to how active and boisterous the fish can be after lights out, same time as the knifefish. An African butterfly fish would fit in well and add something to top of the tank. All four these fish would need good filtration to keep water quality right in a 38gal even more of a need for good maintenance if you have all of them. All of these fish are not the most showy or the most active, when we are awake and can watch, and I have seen a number of these tanks start out as what a cool tank and quickly became a tank that was disliked because it was "boring" to watch.

You could go for some riverine cichlids like kribensis or A. thomasi. If they breed the knifefish will have feeders but the kribs may harass the rather reclusive knife into submission. I had a 75gal African stream tank with 11 kribs and some congos. It was action packed and the kribs took care of algae. In your tank algae should not be a problem if you are adding lower light. If you do need an algae eater, consider ancistrus sp.. They are hands down an algae machine.

The silver distochodus may not be a good choice for two reasons. It likes to chow down on plants and if spooked, that tank is small and it will hurt itself.

Try adding a small variety of val in the tank. It will carpet nicely over time and fish like swimming through the carpet. I like crypt parva as a foreground plant and once established do very well in almost all tanks in my experience.

Adding smaller synodontis species and some congo tetras and a krib or 2 will go a long way to making the tank more "interesting" (subjective opinion here) to watch.

An idea of my previous setup: African Stream Kribensis Setup
Sounds like a great plan for a tank. Any picks to share?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Wow, thanks for the advice! This is a big help. I was considering Synodontis eupterus but after seeing an adult zooming around a display tank I'm starting to rethink that. Maybe if I can add a lot more plants I'll rethink it. The filter is a fluval 306 and I just got a python hose so I'll be able to do frequent water changes easily.

I was also considering kribs because of the potential for a little more color and fry feeding the knife, but as you stated, if they get aggressive while spawning the knife wont be able to stand up to them.

It's good to know the senegal is an option, as I've always wanted one. And i did end up picking up the distochodus today while I was at the lfs... We'll see how it treats the bolbitis and anubias before I try adding other plants. If it's really that voracious, I might return it.

The val is a good idea and I have tons of it in my SA tank. The tetras are in love eith the carpet! But I'm really trying to stick with an African theme, so I may look for similar plants from there. I'll definitely post some pics once the anubias are all tied down, tomorrow afternoon most likely. I'm really looking forward to this finished product.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I disagree with keeping Ctenopoma and a bichirs in a 75 gallon tank. Both are pretty active in my opinion and need a bigger tank.

I would try something like a nigiri knife fish some butterfly fish and maybe something like Congo tetra's.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Maybe a Jewel cichlid harem, Congo tetras for dithers, Butterfly fish surface dwellers, small Synadonis catfish.

I had a 55gal with HRP's doing this same thing. Cichlids stay busy breeding and for the most part leave others alone. Others pick off cichlids fry, cichlids returned the favor and eat everyone else fry. All stay busy breeding, not fighting and tank don't get overwhelmed with fry.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Look into Synodontis nigriventis (Upside down synos), pelvichromis species or congo tetra. There are many lovely forms of Kribensis (pulcher) and relative species. Xenomystus nigri get way too big to comfortably sit in a 36" tank, I would skip that. Smaller fish would scale better in a 38 gallon tank.

For plants look at Bolbitis heudoltii, Anubias sp, Vallisneria sp "corkscrew", Crinum natans and Bacopa. That would be my preferences for a tank :)

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Look into Synodontis nigriventis (Upside down synos), pelvichromis species or congo tetra. There are many lovely forms of Kribensis (pulcher) and relative species. Xenomystus nigri get way too big to comfortably sit in a 36" tank, I would skip that. Smaller fish would scale better in a 38 gallon tank.

For plants look at Bolbitis heudoltii, Anubias sp, Vallisneria sp "corkscrew", Crinum natans and Bacopa. That would be my preferences for a tank :)
oooh... thought that it was a 75 gal tank. If its 35 gallon I would not recommend Congo tetra's either since they get big and are active. 70 gallon would be the absolute minimum in my opinion.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
There are smaller African tetra species... Just harder to find.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
oooh... thought that it was a 75 gal tank. If its 35 gallon I would not recommend Congo tetra's either since they get big and are active. 70 gallon would be the absolute minimum in my opinion.
A group of Congo tetras would be fine in a 35 gal tank for life. Especially a planted tank. The tank is 36" long and 12" wide, a congo tetra gets about 3".

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
Thought I’d revive this thread. I’m interested in a Congo biotope for my t. schoutedeni . I’ve introduced 2 types of African tetra, blue diamond and red eyes. I was wondering about easy plants from that part of the world, as well as algae eaters. And yes I know the puffers might savage the other fish, though so far they show no interest. I have space to relocate any damaged fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store