Aggressive Betta

fishkeeperman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Hello friends I have a red halfmoon male betta and I kept hima alone in his 5 gallon tank because I heard they were mean. Then I got chewed out at my local community fish store saying that betttas are supposed to be community fish so I put him in my 55 gallon community tank where he killed all of my glofish tetras and small fish. Then I put him in my 55 gallon mini monster tank where he did the same thing. Once while my sister was tank sitting while I was on a buissness trip she somehow "accidentally" put him in my payara nursery where he genocided my juvenile payara(last time she's fish sitting). So at 75 dollars worth of fish that he killed I decided to cut my losses and put him back in his 5 gallon betta tank but I still get grief from the employees every time I go to the community fish store and they say I treat my betta poorly by having him solutary. What should I do?

• Angry
Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The first thing you do is tell that employee to shove his opinion somewhere where the sun doesn’t shine and to mind his own bloody business. Not every betta is aggressive and not every betta is passive, the one you seem to have is quite the aggressive little bugger so you are quite justified in keeping him alone. A 5 gallon to himself isn’t bad, you could plant it to make it more pleasant for him though. Maybe a cave, maybe an air stone, that would be nice.

fishkeeperman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Thank you for the advice this weekend I will go looking for some hides since he already has his plant and air stone.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That sounds like a good plan, just make sure that the hide doesn’t take up a lot of space since it’s only a 5 gallon. A terra cotta pot wouldn’t be bad depending on size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store