Aggressive Pleco

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I was think about my old pleco, Sandshrew, and another question came to mind about him, his aggression, he used to launch himself toward the surface of the water or wherever my hand was and would straight up attack me and any other human that got near the water! He never bothered any of the fish he was with rather they were big or small but I remember one time when I was doing a water change and he actually jump out of water, tried to latch on to my wrist like a lamprey and plopped back into the water! It seemed like really weird behavior so I started watching him more closely and realized that every time I opened the lid he would start sizing me up and if I even came close to touching the water at all he would come in for the kill, but again never bothered his tankmates. It started around the time he was 7-8 inches long. Has anyone else ever had a pleco act like this?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Most fish will show some aggressive behavior once they claim a territory.
We more commonly associate this behavior with cichlids and the like.
Catfish are another group of fish that will definitely claim and defend a territory.
Some fish are known to show food aggression.
So this behavior may have been from an over zealous feeder or it could have been the animal just defending its territory.

I had a male jag back in the day that claim the tank and six feet around it.
If you came within six feet water would soon be all over you and the floor

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store