Air bubbles causing dirty tank

WaterWaffle

Exodon
MFK Member
May 19, 2018
I have a 40 gallon breeder that I planted using the soil with a cap for substrate. The soil is miracle grow potting soil and the cap is 3/4 inch pool filter sand. I’ve done this method before but with a much more dense kind of potting soil and gravel. I had quite a few bubbles but it never caused a problem. I’m getting much larger bubbles this time and it’s causing large amounts of dirt to break through the cap. It’s not causing that much of a problem besides being an eyesore and being high maintenance. I tried poking the pockets with a skewer but its not releasing all the bubbles. Any advice or should I just let it settle and hope the bubbles slow down?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
In my opinion, as I done a dirt tank but a smaller version, the sand should be a little higher like atleast an inch.

Reactions: tlindsey

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Once air is trapped in your dirt layer, the only thing to do is poke holes and release it. Next time get the soil wet enough that is like a thick pea soup before putting it in the tank and you won't have as much of an issue.

Reactions: FreeMak

BizTodd

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
BTW, my first dirted tank I did dry. 7 months later I still get bubbles and they release a little dirt and red clay into the water column.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
It took at least 6 months for my dirt bottom tank to stop producing gas. I used a gravel cap that is much better at realeasing the bubles than sand. As long as the bubles don't smell like rotten eggs you should be fine. This is just the natural bio action of a potting soil tank bottom due to its high percentage of organic compounds. When my tank was doing this when new a few years ago I remember looking up the same question and I believe I discovered the gas is most likely CO2 which your plants should appreciate. Just make sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water (trickle filter or air stones) for the fish.

Reactions: pookie

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
Completely normal, but as stated I saw a ton more bubbles from my sand capped dirt tank vs my gravel capped dirt tanks.
Part of my tank maintenance is to "fart" the substrate to release these pockets of gas. As a large pocket popping up has been rumored to be able to kill your fish, havnt seen it myself but I do believe it could be possible if too much of this gas did express at once if you don't have an air stone or alternate to keep the water oxygenated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store