Air stone with a sump?

BigBeardDaHuZi

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2020
I have a 170 gallon African cichlid tank. Under the tank, there is a 50 gallon sump (give or take). My question is, do I need an air stone or wave maker to keep the surface of the water broken up? Or is the water flow through the tower and sump sufficient to oxygenate the water?
Right now, there is a big air "plate" which puts out a ton of flow, but it is also disrupting the flow of the tank .... the water returns from the sump on the left but instead of blowing straight to the intake on the right, the water flow gushes upwards in the middle.
Also, the water is so oxygenated, there are always air particles throughout the water.... it doesn't look as clear as it could.

BigBeardDaHuZi

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2020
" do I need an air stone or wave maker to keep the surface of the water in the aquarium broken up? "

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Not necessarily needed, but I used to keep an air stone in my sumps to help move the water around. It may have been all in my head, but I believed it kept the sump cleaner, picked up the detritus and debris that would accumulate on the surface of the water or bottom and move it back through the tank to be filtered out again.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I like airstones in my display tank because they also draw stuff up from the bottom and then the overflow can take it to the mechanical media in the sump

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store