Air

-ñ-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Ireland
Perhaps this is stupid, but are plants in a tank a substitute for a bubbler?
Will the plants produce oxygen for the fish to survive on?

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
you will need to get a co2 tank for ur plants to stay alive though

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
They help a lot but its not a bad idea to have some surface agitation too. If you have a hang on back filter you dont need an air pump.

There are several plants that you can keep without Co2 also

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
-ñ- said:
Perhaps this is stupid, but are plants in a tank a substitute for a bubbler?
Will the plants produce oxygen for the fish to survive on?
plants give of oxygen only if there is suffient light and nutrients to start photosynthesis

oxygen is the end product

plants do not provide the same function as a bubbler

bubblers actually exhange gas from the water to air and vise versa

oxygen goes in and co2 and other gases comes out till it reaches equalibrium with the atmospheric gases

plants would be good if you had a small fish population of say perhaps a school of tetras but you would need alot of them to do this well.

plants are no use in the monsters we keep :)

so we have monster aeration and filteration to do this for us :headbang2

LeGrandB@t

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
DeLgAdO said:
plants dont need co2 if you have very stong lighting and all the macro nutrients needed for a plant to grow

Actually the stronger lighting you have the more co2 and nutrients you need to add. The trick is to have the correct balance of co2, lightng and nutrients.

When you have just strong lighting and low co2/ nutrients you will have horrible algae problems. (Found that out the hard way) :D

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
For many tanks that are mainly focused on fish a good many types of plants will do fine without additional CO2. I have had a lot of plants and never used added CO2, (I am only a dabbler in plants, my focus was always on the fish so I kept the easy to care for types of plants).

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
LeGrandB@t said:
Actually the stronger lighting you have the more co2 and nutrients you need to add. The trick is to have the correct balance of co2, lightng and nutrients.

When you have just strong lighting and low co2/ nutrients you will have horrible algae problems. (Found that out the hard way) :D
:iagree:

You have to have SOME co2 (not necessarily adding it to the tank manually, it happens naturally).. or you will have algae problems.

What was stated above is absolutely true and a very good peice of info!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store