Algae eaters in bichir tank?

EelWranglerSeb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2022
Hello! As title suggests, I’m having an algae annoyance in my tank. I’m doing the usual precautions to combat it (lowering lights, stopped ferting, etc) but I’m strongly considering adding an algae eater to the tank. The problem however is that most species I know have a habit of eating slime coats or are too small to last a minute with a bichir. What algae eaters might be bichir safe? So far I’m considering more nerite snails.

Rougarou

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
Here's why algae eaters are tough in tanks with Poly's and Ropes. Smaller Algea eaters such as Chinese Algea Eaters and Otto's are too small and will wind up on the menu. Siamensis are aggressive eaters once they learn to prefer the protein you're feeding you're Poly's and often out eat them, and lose interest in algae eating duties. Plecos aren't very efficient algebra eaters, as well as requiring other specialized dietary needs. Farlowellas and Whiptails are pretty good for algae control, but need to be be supplemented with algae wafers. The problem with this is, when your Polys or Ropefish get bigger, they will readily eat the wafers as well, which ultimately isn't good for the Poly's and Ropes, as they will be overeating, and will starve the algae eaters. If you're intent on dealing with algae the all natural way, plants are the way to go. Get some hornwort, elodea, or duckweed. They will absorb excess nutrients way faster than algae can, thereby starving the algae into control.

Reactions: shardbased
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store