Algae getting started or something?

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I just started my tank and it’s cycling, and I’m adding the bottled bacteria. Ever since I started dosing it the water turned very cloudy and there is a white haze. Is this normal for new tanks?

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Never mind it turned out to be the tiny particles in the sand that were blowing around.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I would say there is some biological activity adding to the haze. Notice there is some foam collecting on the surface of the water. Have you considered a protein skimmer?

Reactions: PGJE and tlindsey

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I would say there is some biological activity adding to the haze. Notice there is some foam collecting on the surface of the water. Have you considered a protein skimmer?
I think the foam on top is definitely some biological something, but last night I realized that the sand I used has lots of powder that sprays around the tank... I ran the HOB filter again with just a sponge and this morning it’s almost completely clear. As for the skimmer, I’ve definitely considered it, but decided if I get a really good ecosystem going (getting some live rock today) along with frequent water changes it should be fine. It’s a tiny tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store