Algae issue or not....Please vote!!

Should I battle or keep the beard algae??

• Keep the Algae its looks natural

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Battle and kill the invasive algae

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I have a beard algae issue in my planted 180 gallon. The stuff is tough!!! Scrubbing with a brush barely fazes it. My 7-8" Flagtail cannot make a dent in it. Folks that see the tank like the look of it but I am torn. It does look natural and is healthy for the fish and clears the water. On the other hand it looks sloppy and tends cover the plants. The plants grow so fast that I can remove the badly effected leaves without much issue.....they are replaced in days. Most of the algae is on massive driftwood the largest is over 80lbs. My question is is the battle worth it?? I used peroxide on one smaller pc of wood and the algae changed color a bit and has been disappearing. Getting the big pc out will require some planning and lots of peroxide!!136407513640761364077

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could try adding some co2, turn off the light directly above it, and current to the tank. Maybe consider some Siamese algae eaters. After that if still a prob then I’d let it grow. Fish will like to hide in it.

Reactions: jwitty and Chefken

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Agreed with kno4te, fluctuating or un-stable Co2 levels can cause black beard algae...

So you could try adding some Co2 or try the black out method...

If that doesnt work, then when doing large water changes, place the peroxide into a spray bottle then directly spray it over the problem areas and let it sit for 5min...

From there continue adding water as usual and you should see it slowly die off those areas, from there its then a matter of fixing the underlying problem if it still annoys you ;)

Reactions: Chefken and kno4te

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
BBA is very much related to high organic load. Normally reducing stock levels is the only thing that works but in your case it seems to be attracted to the driftwood and my guess is the driftwood is decomposing and leaching organics. You may want to replace it.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Agreed with kno4te, fluctuating or un-stable Co2 levels can cause black beard algae...

So you could try adding some Co2 or try the black out method...

If that doesnt work, then when doing large water changes, place the peroxide into a spray bottle then directly spray it over the problem areas and let it sit for 5min...

From there continue adding water as usual and you should see it slowly die off those areas, from there its then a matter of fixing the underlying problem if it still annoys you ;)
The Peroxide will not harm fish and plants if sprayed directly into the tank?? I removed the wood to treat the one pc......I have started adding liquid carbon to the tank in lieu of CO2.....does it help are am I wasting my time with it?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Liquid carbon is toxic to algae and other micro-aquatic life, hence it works on BBA. Adding directly to the water will not help. Lower the water level, spray on top of the BBA when out of the water, wait a bit, then fill the tank back up. Do not put above the max recommended concentration on the bottle as the fish may react to it when you fill the tank back up.

The BBA should turn purple/pink and die but subsequent outbreaks can't be prevented if the source of organics is not removed.

Edit: By the way, BBA likes CO2 as much as plants do so injecting CO2 is not going to help one bit....This is only adequate in heavily planted tanks as better CO2 concentrations lead to healthier plant mass and healthy plants outcompete algae. In non-planted tanks one has nothing but water changes and low stocking to oucompete algae, especially BBA which grows in low light as well.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The Peroxide will not harm fish and plants if sprayed directly into the tank??
Put the wrong dose and you can wipe out your entire tank for the sake of some BBA. You're only treating the aftermath by the way. Prevention is removing the source of organic build up as above.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Peroxide does work. You do not dose the water with it. You have to lower the water and spry directly on the BBA.
As peroxide breaks down it turns into Hydrogen and oxygen. Water.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I will also add the the answer will probably be a combination of everything suggested.
Lower light, lower organic waste, Co2 can work but it needs to be controlled.
IMO a Co2 injection system is the way to go if you are considering Co2 but that can be expensive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store