All kinds of trouble...now my Jar wont eat!

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
I. seem to have all kinds of issues lately. Now my 12 inch Jardini stopped eating.

I have been battling brown algae. I have been rubbing the plants and install the UV filter. I have been changing the water. I did a water change about four days ago. This is when the trouble started. He has not eaten since.

I had a small bluegill in with him. 4-5 inches. At first the bluegill was afraid of him, But then after a while I thought he maybe bullying The Jar. They have been living in the same tank together for 3-4 weeks. I have had the bluegill for six months. For the last three or four days he has been hiding on the bottom of the tank behind the plant.

My Jar used to eat everything. Market shrimp, dried shrimp, crickets, goldfish, anything that I put in there he would hit. Now nothing.

He is beginning to worry me because it's been four days. He seems to be not be able to hover quite right. Sometimes the tale floats up, sometimes his head floats up, sometimes he looks like he's falling on his side. He is still swimming fine.

Water parameters are as follows, zero, zero, 30. I have nitrates out of my tap between 20 and 25. I have had this fish in this water for three months. Temp 78.

As I said, four days ago I did a water change (30-40%). This is when the problems began. Yesterday I did a large water change maybe half. Today I changed the water 30%. Later in the day I changed another 50%.

Again, the current water parameters are zero, zero, 30. I increase the temperature to 81°. I have added stress coat with all of my water changes.

Any ideas? I am afraid he is going to die. When do i pull him out and force feed him?
He has access to two goldfish (that are hiding) market shrip. Two crickets, and some tuna.

Thx

Eddie

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Were the Goldfish quarantined first before you would offer to the Jar? Also could be due to the back to back water changes. Have you checked the ph? Don't offer any food for a couple of days and see if Jar starts to act normal again.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Were the Goldfish quarantined first before you would offer to the Jar? Also could be due to the back to back water changes. Have you checked the ph? Don't offer any food for a couple of days and see if Jar starts to act normal again.
No. Goldfish went in yesterday as a last ditch to get him to eat.

The last goldfish he ate (last month) were quarenteed for 6 weeks.

The back to back changes happened on day 3 and day four of no eating.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Goldfish are unnecessary.

Maybe turn off lights for a bit, arowana are known to go off food. What size is the tank?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Oh ok good to hear the Goldfish were quarantined. Sometimes Aro's will refuse food and then start eating again this is why I suggested not feeding for a day or two.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
He is cureently in a 110 growout. There is a 300 or 450 on deck for him.

Yup. Blue gill is wild caught. But as i say, i have had him for over 4 months. Maybe 5.

The goldfish were just an attempt to get him salavating. The last gf i dropped in were pets that turned into food (only two fish). I had em for months.

Ok. I hope 4 days is nothing (today is day 5). I have been having a bad run of dead fish and issues. I hope it is bot carrying over.

Thx

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Just one more question on the bluegill. How long have they been together and was the bluegill treated for parasites at all before putting the two fish together.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Just maybe take the goldies out. They can be saved

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store