All Ladies and 1 Male {i think}

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Welcome to MFK. I can see what looks like tetracanthus, green terror, texas cichlid, and african Mbuna. A mixed bag but very nice stock! I hope you are prepared for very large aggressive fish which will need separate larger tanks when they grow. For now they may get along but that will change, and they would thrive in different water conditions as well. If you are new to cichlid keeping I would recommend you do lots of reading on this forum, there will be alot to learn! Let me know if any questions.

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
Welcome to MFK. I can see what looks like tetracanthus, green terror, texas cichlid, and african Mbuna. A mixed bag but very nice stock! I hope you are prepared for very large aggressive fish which will need separate larger tanks when they grow. For now they may get along but that will change, and they would thrive in different water conditions as well. If you are new to cichlid keeping I would recommend you do lots of reading on this forum, there will be alot to learn! Let me know if any questions.
okay i definitely will thanks for reply but which is a tetracanthus? the rest are correct ....and theres a duboisi in there bc it was nipping at my lil fish

CichlidBeautyAlways

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2020
i was told the one was a cuban jaguar i that what the tetrcanthus is? also theres a flowrhorn i havent set up the 55 gallon tank yet but will soon thanks for your hep and quick reply

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The black and white/silver fish in the bottom-middle of the first picture is a tetracanthus, Cuban cichlid. Not a Jaguar, that is actually a different fish, managuensis.

These guys will all get very mean when larger, and to live together, would probably need something upwards of 200 gallons. But, none that you have get larger than about 12", and each could be OK in it's own 75 gallon if you went that route. When young, many people keep them together like you are now, in a "growout tank". These guys also grow at varying rates- the cuban might grow a bit slower than say the flowerhorn for example, which can put on an inch per month. Unfortunately once they are large, they will almost certainly kill each other unless in a very large tank, or separated. Keeping cichlids, especially from CA (cuban, texas, etc) together in a community is challenging, requires a lot of trial and error, and it's best to have empty tanks on hand to shuffle fish around.
They are not the easiest fish to keep in terms of aggression, but still are my favorite group of fish to keep, because they have so much personality.

This is a cuban (tetracanthus) I used to have
DSC_0448.JPG

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
From the perspective of the Africans...the fish don't have to be large to be aggressive or to die because they are with aggressive tank mates.

Not sure what the mbuna is...it might be OK in a 55G depending on the species. Some of the yellow barred species are too aggressive for a 55G even when three inches.

The tropheus duboisi would ideally be kept in a 75G with 15 or 20 other tropheus and no other fish.

If your goal is to house some/all of them in a 55G you may want to choose now to avoid trauma soon which can escalate quickly.

Reactions: deeda and Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store