Alligator Gar and Catfish not eating food after 6 months

Ibrahimks

Feeder Fish
Sep 15, 2019
Hi, I am from India . I have a large 5000 litre pond setup . I have 3 alligator gar , a redtail catfish and a giant gowrami . I had these fishes for more than 6 months. Alligator gar and redtail catfish have been feeding on small fishes without any issues till last week . From last week they are not eating any food . One day they ate food , but thats it . Usually they eat 2 or 3 small fishes . But now they dont . Sometimes they pick the small fishes in their mouth and splits it . Catfish is also behaving abnormally , he eats food and later that day he vomits it .Giant gowami is eating the pellets without any issues . Please help me . Is this due to the weather ? Hope you can help me out

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hi im not an expert but maybe the fish got something from your feeder fish. what is your water parameters?
I absolutely agree with J Jesse young fish keeper about the feeder fish. If you don't quarantine your live feeders they will pass on bad pathogens and disease to your fish.
Also like to add if you don't maintain the pond properly that will cause issues. Please post your parameters like was asked above .

BIG FISH BOB

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2019
I've had my RTC and AG for over 10 years. They don't need to eat that often.....really even once a week my be too much. I agree with the above statements and never use live feeders....even in a quarantine tank they can still carry diseases. I would check the water....do a water change...stop feeding for a while...check the water .... repeat. The ammonia level and the PH will tell you a lot. If the ammonia is high and the PH is low ....too much food! I keep my PH right at 7. iI it goes unchecked with too much waste in the tank it could drop to below 6.....bye bye RTC and Gar.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store