Alligator gar

pdiddy010

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
My lfs has 2 gator gars. About a foot each and the owner said he’ll just give them to me because he feels so bad for them being cramped in about a 120, (he knows I have a 400 gallon indoor pond) what do you guys think? I know 400 gallons is no where near enough for a gator and I’d eventually have to re home them again. BTW I have 1 Florida and 1 longnose gar in the pond currently.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I wouldn't, it's a risk to your current fish and a headache later. How will you re-home them later at what 2-3 ft?
I've done it myself with RTC and tsn ect, learned that lesson.

Reactions: pdiddy010

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I’d only do it if you know for a fact you want to have a larger pond in the next year or so. I agree that re-homing them when they are 24+ inches will be very hard to do

Is there a cabelas or bass pro in your area? Sometimes they’ll take them since most have those giant aquariums.

Reactions: pdiddy010

pdiddy010

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
I’d only do it if you know for a fact you want to have a larger pond in the next year or so. I agree that re-homing them when they are 24+ inches will be very hard to do

Is there a cabelas or bass pro in your area? Sometimes they’ll take them since most have those giant aquariums.
I live in MI and there is the belle isle aquarium that I’ve heard sometimes takes them, and yes there are a couple bass pros near by as well

pdiddy010

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
I wouldn't, it's a risk to your current fish and a headache later. How will you re-home them later at what 2-3 ft?
I've done it myself with RTC and tsn ect, learned that lesson.
Yea I’m probably not going to do it, I’ve had the Florida for about 5 years and grown attached to it. But I feel bad for them, or pretty much and gator gar in the hobby. Really wish that they weren’t sold in pet stores

Reactions: Gourami Swami

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yep, same with many big species.
Build a pond in your garden if it's warm enough?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Pretty cold tolerant arnt they, a spade a big hole and pond liner don't cost much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store