Alligator gars in my pond

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Just wanted share my gator gars living in my outdoor pond. They are getting really big now, 30-36". The tiles are 6"x6" for reference. Survived last years bitter winter which temperatures dropped to -8 Celsius. The top later almost froze over. They are hardiest fish I have ever kept to date. Currently housed with 3 channa micropeltes around 20-24" and a 10+ year old red ear slider. I wonder how much bigger they will get in this pond. Probably should get a GoPro soon to see them up close in action.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thanks bro vincentwugwg vincentwugwg I think they will be here for a long long time. Gator gars are really impressive.. Being able to tolerate extreme temperature ranges, low oxygen and poor filtration and even on very long fastings. One of my favorite type of fish indeed.

badar7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2011
lahore,Pakistan
www.facebook.com
nice, good pond size, i need something like this for my gars, they have outgrown my 430gallon as well, but i dont have that much space, i need to buy some land, and i will, anything for the gar :D :D

badar7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2011
lahore,Pakistan
www.facebook.com
where i live, in lahore, pakistan, the temprature drops to -1 degree max. i get veryyy veryyyyy concerned, now you are telling that they survived -8. thats a kind of a shok for me. i mean, they are not panguins after all :D. well, after hearing your statement, atleast i ll not be concerned now at -1 celcius

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
That's crazy they survived temps that low, here it gets to around -12 degrees in a normal winter however stays cold for much longer so I don't think they could survive. But you did just give me hope of keeping longnose gar, which come from much colder areas.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
As long as you keep the water running with constant flow so that the surface doesn't freeze over, I think they will be fine. I have a 15" Brazilian red slider turtle in there and she just hibernated through the winter and is back out basking under the sun.

Reactions: Chub_by

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Yeah I guess being able to come up for air is most important, I always have my pump off in winter but if I come across a longnose at a decent price I'll buy one and leave it on this winter to see how it does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store