Alligator Snapping Turtle Shell problems ?

Exotic Creatures

Feeder Fish
Mar 27, 2020
Hi

New to the forum. I got a small alligator snapping turtle about 2 weeks ago and within a couple days of me getting him one of his scutes fell off near the top of his shell. I’ve been trying to find answers for about a week now. I know turtles shed scutes sometimes but this doesn’t look healthy. Anyone have any idea what this could be in the picture? Possibly a fungal infection or is really just shedding. I have been drying him out overnight but it has not gotten any better and now a second one has come off. A vet is a bit difficult currently because of the self isolation where I am. I’ve heard about betadine but am not sure if that would help. Any ideas? 84B7BBC6-D3B6-49C4-9E94-FF50B0D2740E.jpeg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hi

New to the forum. I got a small alligator snapping turtle about 2 weeks ago and within a couple days of me getting him one of his scutes fell off near the top of his shell. I’ve been trying to find answers for about a week now. I know turtles shed scutes sometimes but this doesn’t look healthy. Anyone have any idea what this could be in the picture? Possibly a fungal infection or is really just shedding. I have been drying him out overnight but it has not gotten any better and now a second one has come off. A vet is a bit difficult currently because of the self isolation where I am. I’ve heard about betadine but am not sure if that would help. Any ideas? View attachment 1410719
I'm no expert by any means but it definitely looks like shedding to me. I would imagine if it was fungal that you would see splotching and discoloration of certain areas rather then what appears to be fresh new scaling.

Hopefully someone else with more experience in turtles will chime in with their own 2 cents.

Reactions: Exotic Creatures

Exotic Creatures

Feeder Fish
Mar 27, 2020
I'm no expert by any means but it definitely looks like shedding to me. I would imagine if it was fungal that you would see splotching and discoloration of certain areas rather then what appears to be fresh new scaling.

Hopefully someone else with more experience in turtles will chime in with their own 2 cents.
Interesting. I thought it looked pretty abnormal especially as the layer underneath doesn’t look particularly like a new layer of shell. Could be wrong, hopefully

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Interesting. I thought it looked pretty abnormal especially as the layer underneath doesn’t look particularly like a new layer of shell. Could be wrong, hopefully
To me it seems like how a lizard or snake will she'd it's skin after growing too big for it. Granted I could easily be wrong but that's how it seems to me atleast.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You could try gently brushing the shell with apple cider vinegar and a tooth brush.
I can't tell by the pics if it's just shedding or if there is an issue. Either way this will do no harm.
Other than that keep water very clean, ensure your basking lamps are suitable and that he has a varied diet as possible.
You could also give the turtle a carrot soak to help replace any possibly lost vitamins.
If you can get your turtle to eat blueberries, perhaps pushed into his normal food, this can help with shell health.

Reactions: MrsE88

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I have a male florida snapper and 4 basking turtles... he’s just about to shed off all his scutes. You can tell by looking at the rest of the scutes, they’re just waiting to peel off. Once they get that look like they are kind of lifting from the shell at the seems they are ready to go.

Make sure he’s getting full spectrum UVA/UVB lighting when you are dry docking him. The alligator snappers hardly ever bask, if at all, so get it for him when you can.

Clean water and adequate filtration/water movement for that guy. Best way for their shells to keep that ornate look you want.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store