Alright lesson learned, NO MATTER FISH TYPE, feed before new tankmates

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
So I always understood that you feed your fishes before adding in a new tank mate, in order to prevent harassment on the newcomer. From what I can tell, fish are dumb and WILL eat whatever you throw into the tank, it being the same kind or larger. I have roughly about 5 or 6 different kinds of mahseers in this tank which I got most from Wes, and there all roughly 5 or 6 inches. There always hungry and always wanting me to put in more food even though they been fed. I have this grow out tank which I just removed a silver iridescent shark into the tank, roughly 4 inches. I assumed that because it is definitely too big to eat and there mouths not having any teeth could do any harm, I just plopped him in there. FYI all tanks I have are regulated to be same temp throughout and I try to keep proper ph and tank status throughout my tanks. I go away and do some unfishished chores, and literally less than 10 minutes, I come back to see a iridescent shark swimming around aimlessly the tank with no eyeballs. Literally what the fudge, I putted the poor iridescent out of its misery, and for now on, teeth or no teeth, feed before introducing. Sad face.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Had this happen when I was a kid,remembered it ever since.

One of our members has a i.d shark that lost its eyes years ago, I think it's T The bigger the better

RdJag420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Floriida
I try feed and do a water changed so the normal tank inhabitants are a little stressed then adding but sometimes especially with RDs and Jags and fish I like it’s still a gamble

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store