Alternative carnivore pellets

Asianbucketbrigade

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
What are the cheaper alternatives to Hikari pellets? They sort of dominate the monster fish food trade, and their product, while high in quality, is also high in price, so what are some comparable one could use that would be cheaper? I'm good friends with a former monster fish keeper who was involved in the California White Sea Bass breeding and introduction program and had access to barrels and barrels of the expired fish feed, and would take a bit home to feed on the side to his monster tank. The feed was very high in protein and his fish were very very healthy. Are there comparable feeds we can buy that are cheap and good for our fish?

I know what some of you will say, that i should just feed them shrimp or some cut fish, and I do, but I'd like something that I could throw a handful of into the tank and keep myself and the fish busy when I'm near the tank.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I like omega one super colour cichlids. Main ingredients are fish, most of my fish love it,roughly 10x cheaper than carnivore but it doesn’t fill them up nearly as fast

Reactions: Asianbucketbrigade

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Phreeflow, for carnivores, I found trout and game fish chow to be a very economical route to go as a staple, and alternating with a high quality pellet.
I could easily get 20lbs for $20 at the local feed store on the outskirts of town.

Reactions: Asianbucketbrigade
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store