Altum Angelfish Pairing / Tank Rescape

illumnae

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
Singapore
Beautiful tank and fish! I am just getting back into the freshwater hobby after a number of years on the reefing side of things. My tank is being built tomorrow, but I just couldn't miss this year's altum season and so I set up a temporary qt tank for a bunch of juveniles that came in from the Atabapo. I have a lower survival rate with this batch compared to when I used to keep them many years ago, but I still have about 17 left from an initial 25. The plan is to pick the ones with the nicest finnage for the display tank to be kept with wild discus and other SA fish like plecos and geophagus. I will be keeping a few Pseudacanthicus sp in my tank. I totally get your preference for a display tank over breeding as I feel the same way, but a great achievement nonetheless!

Looking forward to further updates!

P.S. Loving the Radions!

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Beautiful tank and fish! I am just getting back into the freshwater hobby after a number of years on the reefing side of things. My tank is being built tomorrow, but I just couldn't miss this year's altum season and so I set up a temporary qt tank for a bunch of juveniles that came in from the Atabapo. I have a lower survival rate with this batch compared to when I used to keep them many years ago, but I still have about 17 left from an initial 25. The plan is to pick the ones with the nicest finnage for the display tank to be kept with wild discus and other SA fish like plecos and geophagus. I will be keeping a few Pseudacanthicus sp in my tank. I totally get your preference for a display tank over breeding as I feel the same way, but a great achievement nonetheless!

Looking forward to further updates!

P.S. Loving the Radions!
Welcome back to the freshwater side of the hobby!
Exciting to hear that your tank is currently being built. Low survival rates are common for new imported Altums. I actually will have another 4 Wild Caught Altums arriving first this tank is a few weeks. My good friend who has been growing them for 2.5 years is willing to part with them as he wants to grow out a larger group from a Batch of small Altums.

I am a big fan of Pseudocanthicus but I think they would destroy and knock my plants around. I will be receiving a group of L134 in 2 days which will go through quarantine and then join the altums in this tank. I wanted a small growing pleco and the L134 fit the bill both size wise and water chemistry wise. I have no always been a big pleco fan and I will only have the L134, anda group of L071 (I guess if you want toinclude the Farlowella Vittata, I have that as well).

Thank you! I am a bit of a geek foraquarium technology and this is the first time they are being used for plants. On another aquarium I have 2 more however it is a blackwater tank. In the future I plan to hang the radions to give the scape a bit of a more neat and tidy look and to be less intrusive

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

illumnae

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
Singapore
Welcome back to the freshwater side of the hobby!
Exciting to hear that your tank is currently being built. Low survival rates are common for new imported Altums. I actually will have another 4 Wild Caught Altums arriving first this tank is a few weeks. My good friend who has been growing them for 2.5 years is willing to part with them as he wants to grow out a larger group from a Batch of small Altums.

I am a big fan of Pseudocanthicus but I think they would destroy and knock my plants around. I will be receiving a group of L134 in 2 days which will go through quarantine and then join the altums in this tank. I wanted a small growing pleco and the L134 fit the bill both size wise and water chemistry wise. I have no always been a big pleco fan and I will only have the L134, anda group of L071 (I guess if you want toinclude the Farlowella Vittata, I have that as well).

Thank you! I am a bit of a geek foraquarium technology and this is the first time they are being used for plants. On another aquarium I have 2 more however it is a blackwater tank. In the future I plan to hang the radions to give the scape a bit of a more neat and tidy look and to be less intrusive
Awesome :) I'm familiar with altums as I used to keep them pre reefing days, I had a group that I raised to 11 inch height and I used to help friends qt their newly imported wild juveniles till they were stable. Had 80-90% survival rate back in the day but I guess years out of the hobby makes one rusty! I was also trying to qt them in straight tap water from the outset this year instead of using ro water for the first month or so as my ro filter is currently not set up due to the renovations going on at my place.

I'm a huge fish tech geek too! Was struggling between the new Kessil 360X and the AI Prime16 for my new tank - vastly different powers but it's what Kessil and AI recommended respectively when I asked them. Ended up going with the AI due to the built in control and better local support in Singapore where I'm located. Will also be installing a Neptune Apex for controllability and peristaltic pumps for auto water change. One thing the marine side of the hobby has exposed me to is the vast amount of aquarium tech that we don't use on the freshwater side!

Reactions: stiker

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Love your setup. This is definitely not you normal wild altum tank but here are my 10 wild Orinoco Altums. Have had then for 3 years now.
The look great mate, nice to see 3 year old wild caught Altums. It may not be a normal wild Altum setup but a great part of the hobby is finding what works for you and your fish, as well as having a tank you personally enjoy and find aesthetic to look at and enjoy

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Awesome :) I'm familiar with altums as I used to keep them pre reefing days, I had a group that I raised to 11 inch height and I used to help friends qt their newly imported wild juveniles till they were stable. Had 80-90% survival rate back in the day but I guess years out of the hobby makes one rusty! I was also trying to qt them in straight tap water from the outset this year instead of using ro water for the first month or so as my ro filter is currently not set up due to the renovations going on at my place.

I'm a huge fish tech geek too! Was struggling between the new Kessil 360X and the AI Prime16 for my new tank - vastly different powers but it's what Kessil and AI recommended respectively when I asked them. Ended up going with the AI due to the built in control and better local support in Singapore where I'm located. Will also be installing a Neptune Apex for controllability and peristaltic pumps for auto water change. One thing the marine side of the hobby has exposed me to is the vast amount of aquarium tech that we don't use on the freshwater side!
80-90% survival rate is good numbers. It would most likely of helped using RO water but would also depend on the parameters that they were kept in at the place you bought them from.

I wish I had the kessils, I personally love the shimmer effect they provide and howyou can angel them the way you want the light. I will be adding another light for another above tank section that will be added in the future and was thinking of going with the AI as they are so light and small. The radion is a bit to large and heavy for what I want to go with for this unfortunately I believe. I am also looking forward to adding a Neptune Apex to my system for a bit more security. I agree with you, marine keepers get all the latest technology, I had a reef for a few years and I will say that really allowed me to appreciate nice technology for the aquarium industry.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Posting some 2 weeks later update photos. In the past two weeks I have added 9 more Hemigrammus Bleheri (increasing the school to 15) and the pair of Apistogramma Agassizii ‘Tefe’ which where quarantined for at least 2 months. The water has since cleared up a bit with the water changes removing the Blackwater.
F110F260-1E4B-4245-A343-4A8B051BD4BA.jpeg
E8ED4DE1-FCB0-40B5-B3E0-5A94604B388C.jpeg

The Apistogramma Agassizii ‘Tefe’ just after being added to the tank (please excuse the cloudy water, did a water change not long before)
2C6FB84B-CCD1-4CFF-ABD1-E6E84ADBC130.jpeg

A few pictures of the female Apistogramma Agassizii ‘Tefe’
89C6FCF3-F24E-4F2C-984B-71897370BA92.jpeg
D020F1C3-C1B5-457A-993C-750BA8834BC4.jpeg
D8C998D9-DB2B-4B4C-8CF1-8986EAF629D0.jpeg

Reactions: detto and decoy50

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Some more updated photos taken approx 3.5 weeks after being set up.

Moved the extra 3 Pterophyllum Altum, Rio Orinoco Wild Caught our of quarantine and into the tank, their fins came in damaged, as well as them picking on each other in quarantine but they are healing up.
C05CCFEA-C5C0-4D31-B255-630A99DE9FD8.jpeg
5EFF6324-68A2-4E2C-9AAF-320FF006AE0D.jpeg
F15893B5-AE4F-45EC-829C-0DD8C90F7DFD.jpeg

Male and FeApistogramma Agassizii ‘Tefe’
3E6051C2-F7B7-4EC0-AB6F-8EF0288D3E0B.jpeg
04040DC8-9806-455F-91A0-9FD94CAFD470.jpeg

Finally, a full tank shot
0FEDDF8A-F23A-4C2F-94DE-603D41DD12D9.jpeg

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Picture of 4 out of the 6 Dicrossus Filamentosus in the tank. Unfortunately all 6 are males, but I don’t overly mind as I didn’t have any intention to spawn them. Love these guys
11262DE0-A036-4913-BB92-F9BD641BF72D.jpeg

Reactions: Mazan and decoy50

valeldc

Feeder Fish
Jun 12, 2020
Picture of 4 out of the 6 Dicrossus Filamentosus in the tank. Unfortunately all 6 are males, but I don’t overly mind as I didn’t have any intention to spawn them. Love these guys
View attachment 1435264
Hey! Found this thread and realized that you stock the exact same as what I have for my 180, down to the whiptail & Dicrossus! Curious how the tank turned out? Did you ever get your Sterbai in there?

Reactions: Mazan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store