Am I overstocked or am I OK.?

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi,
This is my ist aquarium post very nice to meet all of you!
My tank is 95 gallons(360litres)120cm x 50 cm x 60 cm almost an 4ft x 2 x 2.
I've just put in 5 clown loaches(4inches) and 5 striped silver dollars.(2inches) I WILL AND DON INTEND to put any more fish its 5 clowns and 5 striped silver dollars and that's it.!
I keep reading on Internet that you need at least an 100 or 125 or even larger for 5 clown loaxhes so I'm wondering with my 4ft 95 gallon tank is it enough to house these wonderful fish till they get big.!
I also am using 2 canister filters eheim 2217's and the filtration is more than adequate.
My set up is very simple lots of hiding places for CL and few plastic plants and sand as gravel.
Gents please advise is my tank enough? For these ten fish ?
Will I get a problem in the future would appreciate all advise and thoughts
Thanks in advnce

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Your fine for now maybe 6-8years down the road when the road when the loaches get 8-12” it’ll be a bit much silver dollars most ppl recommend 6ft tanks because of how active they are but I think your fine there,they only get 4-6”. I think your fine for a very long time depending on filtration etc. sounds good to me

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
You are fine. I bet you end up adding some fish.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The problem with SD's are they can be a skittish fish (and cause other fish to be skittish), and at 4-6", a 4 foot long tank doesn't give them a lot of room when they end up bolting. Don't under estimate the bio load of near full grown SDs. They eat a lot and are very fast at stealing food, so measure your nitrates weekly so that you can keep it below 40ppm (use a liquid test). Your filtration won't do much for your nitrate accumulation, only water changes.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
tcav88 tcav88 , LBD, Rocksor Rocksor ave many thks for replies truly appreciate.
1.when I bought the clowns I was very tempted to buy only 3 or 4 but I KNEW there were highly social fish social fish had to be minimum 5 to disay their true character so was the SD they look just so nice in fives or more.
2.I am truly relived that my set up is fine as I was worried I even invested in a second eheim 2217 the filtration now now is world class.
3.i Will NOT put in any more fish these 10 fish are plenty I know and I know only too well they grow big.
4.Does anybody know I saw a poster on SD it seems there are 2 types of SD one kind of having a double stripe on body and seems larger even their scientific names are different not sure about the other one. Mine are only 2 inches now and they cost me about $16 Singapore dollars each and they are gorgeous I hear they get a green colour and look stunning as they grow.? I hear you abt them stealing food. But is it true the SD"S boo load is low compared to other fish ? What is the best way to feed properly so that the CL also get their fill for now its k but I know when they get bigger they can really dominate the tank.! Any effective ways on how to feed the CL.?
Many thks guys I'm new here but already feel welcome and learnt a lot I will post some pictures soon
Cheers

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I don't find SD's bio load low compared to other fish because they like to eat a lot, until past full. I removed 5 x 4-5" SD's from a 240USg tank and noticed a slow down in nitrate production.

Just get used to testing your nitrates every 2-3 days with a liquid test for about 1 year, changing water once it hits 20ppm. If you are finding it hard to change the water so much, then you can figure out which to rehome.

Reactions: tlindsey

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I don't find SD's bio load low compared to other fish because they like to eat a lot, until past full. I removed 5 x 4-5" SD's from a 240USg tank and noticed a slow down in nitrate production.

Just get used to testing your nitrates every 2-3 days with a liquid test for about 1 year, changing water once it hits 20ppm. If you are finding it hard to change the water so much, then you can figure out which to rehome.
all good points I forgot to mention as I run drips now don’t gotta worry about water changes but Rocksor Rocksor is right in reguards to silver dollars eating seemingly non stop. Can also add pothos my sd have never bothered them although every fish is different I’ve done it with tigers and red hooks no problem aids in nitrate control and the roots look great in the tank win win lol.

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
Rocksor Rocksor and tcav88 tcav88 gents thanks for that..Defo agree that sd's eat and eat lots ! but I'm only going to feed once a day in mornings my main concern is my 4ft 95 gallon tank big enough to house five striped silver dollars ? I really want to watch them grow right now they're just at 2 inches I simply adore them.
Please remember I only have five SD'S and 5 CL in this tank and I'm not going to add any more.
Im worried abt them knocking themselves around when spooked and five of them in a four footer would it look right.?
I just love the look of these striped dollars as they're shape is quite rounder than the other sd's and the green and other colours on them when they mature are simply gorgeous.
I read somewhere in net that sd's bioload is somewhat lower for a fish of its size is this true.?
Cheers

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Their bodies are taller than most fish of the same length, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they have less bioload. It's like taking a 2" ball of clay and flattening it out. You don't really lose any mass, just a different shape.

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
Their bodies are taller than most fish of the same length, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they have less bioload. It's like taking a 2" ball of clay and flattening it out. You don't really lose any mass, just a different shape.
Yep I can surely agree with that buddy
Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store