Amatitlania Nanolutea with bottom dwellers?

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Hello everyone, I have a 90 gallon planted tank with 10 Vietnamese White Cloud Minnows and some mystery snails. I just came across some Nanolutea’s. I’d like to put 8 of them in the 90. Now I am aware that the white clouds are obviously not from the same waters, but they seem to do well at 75 degrees. Question is, with the white clouds as dithers, would it be possible to add a group of Cory’s or a Plecos or 2? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly, Manny

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I had a pair of Honduran Red Points (cousins to the Nanoluteas) in a 55gal with both catfish and a pleco. Only issue I had with them was eating the 16 Neon Tetras over eight months. Yes while breeding they will run off anything that gets close to the fry. But otherwise a great pair of fish.

Reactions: Vukmir13

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
It’s fine until they pair up and breed. Corries will be the victim. but pleco should be OK as they have strong armor and can hide. I think the white cloud should be fine too as they are fast and occupy the upper water column. Corries and neon tetra are vulnerable as they occupy at or near the bottom.

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Thank you very much for the information. I’m going to stick to a Pleco, no Cory’s. I have eco complete substrate mixed with sand and pebbles, is this adequate for the nanolutea’s or should I switch over to only sand? Thanks again

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I kept mine over a sand substrate, but I don't think it matters either way.
The minnows should work great as dithers, and corys would also be fine. My nanos were the most peaceful, non-aggressive cichlids I've ever kept.
If I were to use plecos, (but I wouldn't) I'd only use the small Ansistris (bristle nose) type, because nanos are algae grazers on their own, and if they'd spawn, Plecos tend to eat cichlid eggs at night while the parents are resting, and will also eat wrigglers.

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
duanes duanes thank you very much, those photos are beautiful. I’ll pass on the Cory’s and Plecos, I had no idea the nano’s would graze so I’ll leave it all for them and the mystery snails.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I've kept nanoluteus over gravel and they had no problems with that either; so I think your combination substrate will be fine. In addition to the nano's, if the white clouds do get eaten (possible but unlikely IMO) you could go with livebearers like swordtails or goodeids which will do a good job on the algae

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store