Amazon Puffer and Exodon

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Strange question, but since SAP are scale less would they be suitable for a tank of exodon?

I'm looking into stocking a 55, and on the fence between a SAP and exodon or just exodon alone tank.

Anyone have any luck with this pairing?

Thanks in advance.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I don't think many people keep either honestly. I would imagine you would struggle to get food to the puffers with the insane feeding response of exodons. I could be wrong but I would just do the one or the other personally.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I don't think many people keep either honestly. I would imagine you would struggle to get food to the puffers with the insane feeding response of exodons. I could be wrong but I would just do the one or the other personally.
I agree it would be a nightmare.
I had a schoutdeni in a tank with Congo tetras and African red eye tetras. Tetras are greedy fish, all of them are. I would feed the tetras first and alot til their little bellies were bulging. Then I would drop in snails for the puffer the tetras would take the snails even though they were stuffed and swim all over the tank with the snails. They couldn't and wouldn't even eat them. The puffer had to chase after them until they decided they weren't going to eat it. Puffers show expressions and you could tell she disliked the tetras. She would just sit and glare at them. I was lucky as both are in general pretty easy going animals. So they were fine other then feeding time. I thought it was going to be a cool Congo themed tank and it was but it was kind of nerve racking especially at feeding. Exodons are way more aggressive then either of those two I think they would harass the sap all the time. Honestly I think puffers need their own tank to be fully appreciated. It's a hard thing to do dedicate a tank to just 1 fish. I'm guilty of it too obviously, and I'm still thinking what will I be able to put in with my fahaka to add some interest and maybe clean up little food bits that the fahaka will leave.....
Why?! Lol

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Thank you both. Puffers are really intriguing and something I want to do. Just am limited by tank size at the moment, thus the SAP.

This is great information moving forward.

Reactions: tlindsey and Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store