Amazon puffers/Congo spotted puffers (schoutedeni)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats an interesting question and while i have never tried mixing the two species, i would say in theory it might be possible being that they are both quite friendly towards their own kind...

The problem is how do they react with puffers of another genus is the big question...

For example i’ve in the past heard of people mixing SAP’s with MBU but never really heard of SAP’s mixed with puffers of similar size...

So my only real advise is, if you have a spare tank to sepearate them if things go south it might be worth a try, otherwise i would probably choose the species i liked more and keep them in a tank of their own...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Honestly for the price of schoutedini I would try a species only setup and see if they breed, always interesting and it would help spread a relatively "new" species in the hobby

Maybe I'm just a sucker for a nice Africa tank

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Honestly for the price of schoutedini I would try a species only setup and see if they breed, always interesting and it would help spread a relatively "new" species in the hobby

Maybe I'm just a sucker for a nice Africa tank
I agree, if you feel confident enough to try breeding them, then it could potentially lead to a good bit of money to fund your hobby further...

Only thing is, you’ll need a spare nursery tank for the baby puffers as well as well as a baby brine shrimp hatchery (or two) on hand, as most baby puffers are finicky eaters that prefer live till they are large enough to eat larger foods...

Reactions: PKPuffer

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
I’ve watched a ton of aquarium co-op videos on them as well as a YouTuber who shows his fish room and multiple tank for the fry, the brine shrimp etc.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Whatever route you decide to to, just be sure to share some pics here so we can all drool over your new acquisitions ?

Reactions: PKPuffer

PKPuffer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Whatever route you decide to to, just be sure to share some pics here so we can all drool over your new acquisitions ?
Getting a 300 gallon tank pretty soon and will redo the joints on a 160. Should be a good start ?

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store