Amazon rusty crabs?

UncaBret

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Normal, IL
Anyone know anything about these? All I know is they are supposed to get about quarter sized and they swim. I'm thinking about getting 5 or 6 to put in a 10 or 15 gallon.
Are they predatory? or scavengers?
Do they eat plants?
What kind of dither fish can I put in with them?

Any info would be appreciated.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have not found anything on amazon rusty crabs but there are indian rusties available through Frank's aquarium. they are a bit aggressive and can kill fish a bit larger than they are.

aquaboyaquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
These guys get a little larger then a quarter. Out of all of the crabs we sell they are the most aggressive. They will take fish, crabs, crayfish and anything else that comes within reach. They also come from deep in the Amazon. Where exactly i will not say but it is geographically impossible for this crab to need salt for its larval stage. It could turn out to be the first crab breed by hobbyist in there tanks.

Super soft water is recommended, Ph of 7.6 or lower. Temp not below 74. I feed them sinking pellets, flake, and minnows.

They are somewhere on the evolutionary scale between land and water. They do come out of the water but not much or for long. There last pair of legs is flattened off for swimming. There feet still have points but are flat. Not totally rounded like the Blue Crabs we eat here in Jersey (Scary). I am in the process of taking good photos with a macro lens of the inside and out for documentation of a possible undescribed species of freshwater crab.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store