American cichlid compatibility

Hempy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2017
I have a 130l tank (35g) and I currently have an electric blue acara 4 in and a blue acara 4.5 in, I have plenty of filtration, an eheim classic 350 canister filter and 2 small hobs with pothos plants so im cycling the water over 1000 lph. My question is.. Could I add a jewel cichlid and possibly even an earth eater? (red head tapajo) I have a grow out tank so that's no issue. Also. Could I have a Malawi peacock style tank but with c/sa cichlids? The tank scape consists of piles of slate stone and a light colour sand, ps the tank is 3ft wide 15 inch deep and 13 inch high. Thank you for reading and sharing!

Hempy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply, I'm thinking about starting a hybrid breeding project with them now.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me, anything over 3.5" is too large for a 35 gal tank.
So in my book, you are already overstocked.
If you try to breed the two acara's together, they would not be hybrids, because an electric blue, is simply a line-bred version (for color) of a normal blue acara.
You will probably end up with 20% looking close to the electric, 20% looking like a normal, and 40% somewhere in between, and another 20% mutants that should be culled, because of deformities.
But I agree with kepiefishypewi, the last thing this hobby needs is more hybrids.
And then again if you add any jewels, your culling issues will take care of themselves.

Hempy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply. An electric blue acara is a hybrid between an electric blue ram and a blue acara. But anyway, back to the topic. Is there any larger schooling/shoaling fish I could add that would'nt eat the eggs or fry? Like bloodfins or something similar?

Hempy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2017
Does anyone have a straight answer to my question? Are there any schooling/shoaling fish I can have that won't eat the eggs or fry?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Most fish will eat fry but your best bet would be hatchet fish as the live and sleep on the surface.
Ps.
People are only trying to be helpful with their replies.

Reactions: J. H.

Hempy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2017
Hatchet fish. it's worth a try. Yeah I appreciate the replies but I was just trying to stay on topic... BTW, the electric blue acara is a hybrid (I just wanted the last word lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store