American Cichlids for a 150 litre tank!

Zukobongolo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I have a 150 litre tank that I have just got that needs stocking. I really love american cichlids. Is there any sort of large american cichlid that doesn't a lot of space to put in a 150 litre fish tank?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 150 litre tank that I have just got that needs stocking. I really love american cichlids. Is there any sort of large american cichlid that doesn't a lot of space to put in a 150 litre fish tank?

The largest CA Cichlid you could put in that size aquarium is a Convict or SA Ram's Blue, or Bolivian.

Reactions: Zukobongolo

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Any cichlids that doesn't get larger than 6" will be fine to keep as a solo cichlid (with some tetras/etc. or a small pleco as tankmates) or possibly as a pair depending on the fish.
Some examples:
Rainbow cichlid
Convict/Honduran Red Point
sajica
Panamensis
Blue Acara
Guianacara

If you like the look and attitude of the large American cichlids like midas, I would recommend the Sajica. They are aggressive and get a similar look with the nuchal hump.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
You dont want a cichlid over 6 inches as they would be too big so Here are some options:
Convict cichlid : 10-15cm, have many different colours (albino, normal and marble).
Sajica cichlid : 8-12cm, very colourful cichlids and males get a decent hump.
Blue acara : 12-15cm, a more peaceful green terror but still territorial but fine with fish to big to be eaten as long as it has a territory (cave etc.).
Electric blue acara : (same as above).
Keyhole cichlids : 8-11cm, very peaceful cichlids can often be kept in pairs or groups and fine with most community fish.
Firemouth cichlids : 12-17cm, abit territorial but nothing over the aggression scale and are very attractive with a red throat and sometimes pearls on the scales.
Ellioti cichlids : (more colourful and harder to find than regular firemouths)
Salvini cichlid : 12-17cm, probably one of the most aggressive cichlids, and most colourful pound for pound in a 150 litre it would be best to keep either alone as a pair or one female with hardy catfish and fast dithers.
Few more aswell but they are probably the ideal ones

Reactions: Zukobongolo

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since 150 liters is only 40 gallons, I wouldn't put anything in it that gets larger than 4".
Most Central and South American will guard a territory about 4 times that large.
So to me, nanoluteus or Honduran red Points are about right for Centrals, and any of the S American dwarf cichlids, such a rams, or Apistos are the only suitable ones I can think of.

nanoluteus above, Honduran Red Point below

panamense glow slowly, but I believe even they will eventually out grow such a small tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store