American Eel - attack/predation on larger fish?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Do Anguilla attack larger fish?
I've got two juveniles at ~6" in a 55 with a few healthy filament barbs, one of which looks like she had her throat torn out. Don't know if she died/injured & was nibbled after, or was murdered, or if the throat/gill injury occurred unrelated to the eels - spooked & bashed into a spikier bit of decoration. I'm watching now though - these wee guys are properly fascinating.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do Anguilla attack larger fish?
I've got two juveniles at ~6" in a 55 with a few healthy filament barbs, one of which looks like she had her throat torn out. Don't know if she died/injured & was nibbled after, or was murdered, or if the throat/gill injury occurred unrelated to the eels - spooked & bashed into a spikier bit of decoration. I'm watching now though - these wee guys are properly fascinating.
Hope this helpshttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/euopean-eels-as-pets.374237/

Reactions: andyroo and kno4te

Valheru

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2015
United States
I have an indo shortfin eel at 16" that's never bother any of my other fish (G. Polyuranodon, Polypterus) besides pushing them around during feeding.

I have kept American eels in the past with a giant gourami and didn't have any issues there either. They're quite active and aggressive eaters at feeding time just like my shortfin eel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store