Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Ammonia in source water

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by MrsE88, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MrsE88

MrsE88 MFK Members

Kathryn
      Today at 11:07 AM
      Just thought I'd share my stupid mistake.

I stopped using prime a couple months back on my fish tanks. I've never used it when filling/doing water changes on my pond. Since I have a well(live on a farm) I thought "it's just filtered rain water right?".
      That thinking almost cost me all my fry.
      Normally I service my big tanks first, but yesterday I decided to start with the fry tank. And I'm so glad I did.
      While filling up the tank my water just seemed off. So I tested it and the ammonia was at 4ppm!
      I look at the fry and they are darting to the surface and going nuts!
      I quickly netted them out and into a big net in their parents tank.
      I forgot to test the water before bed last night, but this morning the ammonia in the tank is back to 0.
      My tap is still at 4ppm. Before it was always between 0-.25ppm. And that was never an issue before. The biological filtration was able to handle it just fine and the fish didn't seem bothered at all.
      I really wasn't thinking. We have had such heavy rains this past week and are in for more today and tomorrow. I'm sure the spike is from fertilizer being washed into the well water. (We are surrounded by fields) I will be using prime from now on and watching my source water.
      I didn't lose any fish, but that is my lesson learned.

2. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      Today at 11:34 AM

Good to hear you found that out about the ammonia right away and saved the fry.

MrsE88 likes this.
    3. MrsE88

MrsE88 MFK Members

Kathryn
      @tlindsey@tlindsey Yes, I am glad that I was quick to figure out what was wrong. It wasn't smart on my part to think I didn't need to at the very least keep prime on hand. I won't make that mistake again.

tlindsey likes this.
    4. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Duane
      Today at 10:31 AM
      You may also want to have the well tested for coliform bacteria (and E coli), if you drink that well water at all.
      A high ammonia level could be an indication that the heavy rains have contaminated the well with an incursion of farm waste runoff.

tlindsey and MrsE88 like this.
    5. MrsE88

MrsE88 MFK Members

Kathryn
      We do not drink our well water. Even with a softener it is very hard still. We haven't taken the time to have it tested and for that reason we do not drink it.
      I agree that it is more then likely contaminated by run off.
      We will be getting it tested sometime here in the near future.

tlindsey likes this.