Amphilophus sagittae creamsicle question

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
B78A8D57-0C21-4CA4-8447-934C1E34EBDE.jpeg D4BF8C4D-8ED4-45A4-9F3E-F9BF74B389AC.jpeg 62BF16C0-AC6E-42B3-8A04-B311557430A9.jpeg Hello everyone, I purchased 9 Amphilophus sagittae from Jeff Rapps on Aug 1 of this year. They were 1.5” at the time and they’ve lived in a 125 gallon. I found 1 dead a couple of weeks ago, but other than that, it’s just a bit of puffing and chasing. Now they are about 2.5”-3” and they chasing seems a bit more serious. Any idea how much longer until I have to split them up? The plan was to keep a pair in the 125 for life and give the rest away to you guys on MFK. Any thoughts, thank you, Manny

Twonvito

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
New York City
www.brooklynaquatics.com
Possible some dithers. Your tank is very nice. Sagittae more open water swimmers. So problem one might be you have to many in one tank which will lead to the weaker one being picked off. When I keep a creamsicle sagittae from Jeff Rapps he grew fairly quickly. Always out in the open but I had a variety of different cichlids inside because of the length of each fish. They can be hard on each other but you should get a pair to form soon unless you have a males

Reactions: Vukmir13

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I am very jealous of you, I had a Sagittae once I adored that fish. The colors are insane and mine wasn't that aggressive at all. I've toyed around with the idea of doing the exact same thing as you, as it would be fascinating to raise a batch of fry and see what colors you get.

I think target fish would be a good idea and I would just continue monitoring like you are. You'll know when it gets to be too big of a problem.

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Twonvito Twonvito kewpiefishypewpie kewpiefishypewpie thank you for your replies. Any suggestions on dithers? Or am I limited to silver dollars? I also toyed around with this idea for a couple of months before doing so and I’m super happy with the decision. The only issue is removing some of the driftwood without exposing the crappy seams from the 3D background. Thanks again

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Giant Danio's maybe? They're bigger and fast and can be found easily. Just kind of pulling that answer out of my rear. Seems like you're not interested in silver dollars, are you interested in something already?

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
I actually like silver dollars, however it seems like I prefer the very expensive panda’s and blackberry’s, the normals don’t do it for me. I would love to get rainbow fish or a Congo tetra, but I’m fairly certain they would be picked off fairly quickly. Giant danios are another option, though not my first choice. Thanks again

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
kewpiefishypewpie kewpiefishypewpie if it doesn’t require shipping, I will give you your choice of creamsicle sagittae after a breeding pair has been established, as many as you’d like for free. Let me know if you are interested.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
kewpiefishypewpie kewpiefishypewpie if it doesn’t require shipping, I will give you your choice of creamsicle sagittae after a breeding pair has been established, as many as you’d like for free. Let me know if you are interested.
That's quite the noble gesture man, thank you. I actually might have some tank space clearing up in the coming months, let me know!

We actually don't live that far in the grand scheme of things, I'm about an hour north west of Albany.

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
I found my cichlids always more skittish if I have silver dollar in the tank since they dart around the tank nervously and it makes the cichlids hide IME.

hope it works out better for you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store