Angelfish + Discus + Ornate Bichir

FishGoneWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
32 Polypterus Way, Africa
AmazonAngel;2900755; said:
Nice, have you ever seen the bichirs try to bite any tankmates?
Yes, I have seen a bichir lunges at a discus or angels during feeding time. This rarely happen and only happen when the discus or angels trying to steal their food. It's like a dog in an eating frenzy and you go try to take the bowl away.:D

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Discus, angels and ornate should be fine together. I know someone with 3x 14" ornates and some other 12-15" bichirs with some discus and some altum angels in his tank. They are doing fine and nothing bad have ever happened to the discus and angels.

Best thing to do is to separate the ornate for a month with some other bichirs. See what's the aggression level of the ornate, as every ornates and the rest of bichirs species have different aggresion level. If you finds out that your ornate is very aggressive the get another ornate. If it's not aggressive as most bichirs are, then misx them together. Make sure the discus and angels already settled in the tank before introducing the ornate.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I've seen a 3000L tank with huge ornates and senegals being kept with discus, large plecs, and a heap of other things. If they aren't bite sized and you can keep the water clean for the discus while feeding the ornate meaty foods then you should be fine.

Ernesto763

Feeder Fish
Mar 27, 2016
I want to put my polypterus ornatipinnis in my 120 gallon tank that has a few geophagus in it and I also wanted to add my large discus and angels. Has anyone had experience with these fish together (expecially with a large ornatipinnis). My ornate is currently 6+". Any advice is appreciated!!
So what did you end up doing with your setup?
I currently have a 120 gallon with a 4-5 in. Senegal and a 5-6 in. Ornate in there with my 6 in. Black ghost and 4 angelfish. I have an Oscar as well as 3 mollies but I'm going to take them out because I am considering adding discuss to my tank. I keep temps at 79 degrees with a ph right now of 7.4 I'm working it down to 7.
I've got a planted aquarium. With plenty of hiding for all I believe and still adding more plants! From all the other posts it seems like it could work! Also planning on adding an endlicher bichir too. Only thing I see that might be an issue is temp. I'm so more researcher for discus.

s.tennis84

Feeder Fish
Aug 9, 2019
My congo has tried to take a bite out of my 4” discus and has sucessfully killed and half eaten my 3”. I think my discus are going to have to be moved to a new tank. My congo has just reached 8ish inches and has way more to go

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store