Angelfish just laid eggs!!!

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
These are my first pair of angelfish, had them for many months and they finally laid eggs! I'm so excited because I always wanted to breed fish. Ill get pics soon.

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
What should I need to know when breeding angelfish?
Just a view tipps from my experience:

1. keep a little light on at night...they need to care for the eggs 24/7

2. they need to learn (especially the default store angelfish...normaly they arent raised by their parents...so they don't learn it when they are small)... normaly they need ~5 tryes to get the first through...

3. Sometimes the parents eat/ attack the babies when they get bigger...if that happens, you maybe have to seperate them

4. put something (nylon stocking e.g.) over your filter intake...whe the babies start to swim, they explore everything and the filter intake is no exception.

That are just a view things that would helped me the first time.
You've got a great angle fish pair and i wish you (and your fish) best look!

I'm looking forward for updates :)

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Just a view tipps from my experience:

1. keep a little light on at night...they need to care for the eggs 24/7

2. they need to learn (especially the default store angelfish...normaly they arent raised by their parents...so they don't learn it when they are small)... normaly they need ~5 tryes to get the first through...

3. Sometimes the parents eat/ attack the babies when they get bigger...if that happens, you maybe have to seperate them

4. put something (nylon stocking e.g.) over your filter intake...whe the babies start to swim, they explore everything and the filter intake is no exception.

That are just a view things that would helped me the first time.
You've got a great angle fish pair and i wish you (and your fish) best look!

I'm looking forward for updates :)
Thank you for the help. When will the eggs hatch? And what should I use to cover up the filter intake, show me a link to the thing.

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Eggs should hatch in about 2 days. Cover intake with a aquarium sponge or mesh bag from the lfs.
Yup use a media bag. Or intake sponge. Media bags are easier to find then sponges. But intake sponges really help in filter maintenance. Try looking at these reasonable prices and good quality ive used them myself.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Should I remove the eggs into their own tank, and raise them on their own since my blue acara is being kind of stubborn with the loss of territory? I have spare 10 gallons and a 20 gallon I could use.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Should I remove the eggs into their own tank, and raise them on their own since my blue acara is being kind of stubborn with the loss of territory? I have spare 10 gallons and a 20 gallon I could use.

Tbh you will need to seed a sponge filter. Purchase a couple of small to medium sponge filters. Seeding is placing a sponge filter in the main aquarium and beneficial bacteria will start to attach to the sponge.
This should be ready in about 6 weeks or less. I always toss extra sponges in my sump just in case for fry or quarantine.

Reactions: twentyleagues

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tbh you will need to seed a sponge filter. Purchase a couple of small to medium sponge filters. Seeding is placing a sponge filter in the main aquarium and beneficial bacteria will start to attach to the sponge.
This should be ready in about 6 weeks or less. I always toss extra sponges in my sump just in case for fry or quarantine.

Let the parent fish gain experience until you yourself do more research on the breeding side of things. Congrats btw.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store