Angelfish layed eggs?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey guys, just got three adult angelfish and they were chasing each other and now laid eggs on my driftwood and Anubias. However, it seems all three of them are laying the eggs and now I think they are three females that made infertile eggs.Is there a way to tell? I hope they are fertile lol.

Thanks! I’ve attached pics below!
Ray

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hey guys, just got three adult angelfish and they were chasing each other and now laid eggs on my driftwood and Anubias. However, it seems all three of them are laying the eggs and now I think they are three females that made infertile eggs.Is there a way to tell? I hope they are fertile lol.

Thanks! I’ve attached pics below!
Ray

View attachment 1423736

View attachment 1423737

View attachment 1423738
Telling males from females is pretty hard to do unless they are extra large or ya catch them in the act. Extra large males will start to develop a small bump on their forehead much like how a flowerhorn will start to grow their kok. Yours I would say are still a bit too small to accurately ID as male or female just by looks alone. As for egg fertility if the are snow white they are duds if they are clear they should be fertile. Also yes it's not too uncommon for females to pair up or for males to pair up. Lol I had a male pair of tinfoil Barb's that would crop dust eachother, it was weird, gross and cool all in one. Lol nothing like having you fish tank turn into a giant snow globe.

Btw a word of advice, your should probably separate the odd man out from the group otherwise their may be allot of infighting in the future. Also if ya have a pleco in the tank or cories I would recommend setting up a small lamp light to shine down ontop of the eggs at night. It helps deter night time scavengers from predating on the eggs while the parents rest.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Telling males from females is pretty hard to do unless they are extra large or ya catch them in the act. Extra large males will start to develop a small bump on their forehead much like how a flowerhorn will start to grow their kok. Yours I would say are still a bit too small to accurately ID as male or female just by looks alone. As for egg fertility if the are snow white they are duds if they are clear they should be fertile. Also yes it's not too uncommon for females to pair up or for males to pair up. Lol I had a male pair of tinfoil Barb's that would crop dust eachother, it was weird, gross and cool all in one. Lol nothing like having you fish tank turn into a giant snow globe.

Btw a word of advice, your should probably separate the odd man out from the group otherwise their may be allot of infighting in the future. Also if ya have a pleco in the tank or cories I would recommend setting up a small lamp light to shine down ontop of the eggs at night. It helps deter night time scavengers from predating on the eggs while the parents rest.
Yeah I was planning on moving the other 7 angels I have (I know the tank won’t fit all but I want to get a pair before giving away the rest) so the others are in quarantine. It’s funny since the angels stay together and there isn’t too much aggression making me believe I have all females! Thanks for the reply and I don’t have a pleco

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
google, males have a little more flare on these fins where as females go straight down,

also the genitalia - female little more round - boy is more pointed...

my angels is 3 way... two dudes and one female... not sure who the baby daddy is... that could be what’s happening there

00269CA6-A458-45B7-A079-71B783706B9C.jpeg

CA01EA91-8DE7-4560-8908-16D54D656902.jpeg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Just want to update on this. It seems I was right that the eggs were infertile. Half the eggs in the batch have turned white and are being picked off by the angels. I have Smaller angels around have the size of the big 3 in quarantine. Do you guys think they would be sexually mature and if so can they live/mate with females double their size? My goal was to grow them out and then add them with the larger females, but if size difference doesn’t pose too much of an issue, I’d like to move them in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store