Angelfish pair which one is the male?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Venting them would be best.
I don't think venting works on angels if I'm remembering correctly. I believe they are almost as impossible to sex as discus, well atleast without a DNA test. I do know tho that males tend to get a lil kok on their forehead and females tend to have a bit more of a body body to em.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I don't think venting works on angels if I'm remembering correctly. I believe they are almost as impossible to sex as discus, well atleast without a DNA test. I do know tho that males tend to get a lil kok on their forehead and females tend to have a bit more of a body body to em.

Didn't know that never kept neither.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Lol they are fun but very mean and needy fish. Very touchy to temp changes too, even as lil as a 2-3° temp change can kill off an entire tank.
I have to beg to differ here...I have done colder water changes on my angel tanks and have even forgotten to plug their heaters back in numerous times and I haven’t lost one due to temperature.

I have lost one due to getting stuck between decor trying to escape the alpha male

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I have to beg to differ here...I have done colder water changes on my angel tanks and have even forgotten to plug their heaters back in numerous times and I haven’t lost one due to temperature.

I have lost one due to getting stuck between decor trying to escape the alpha male
Hmm, mine might've been a bit touchier then. I've had it once before were the furnace for the house shut off in winter and the tank temp dropped a few degrees killing all of my angels. Granted I also have extremely hard water so that might've played a role in that situation as well.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Hmm, mine might've been a bit touchier then. I've had it once before were the furnace for the house shut off in winter and the tank temp dropped a few degrees killing all of my angels. Granted I also have extremely hard water so that might've played a role in that situation as well.
Im
Sorry that is terrible to hear. I too have hard water and my angels literally took a beating with some of my mistakes and how often I forgot to plug their heater back in...they would go from a cozy 86 down to 72 overnight...sometimes I didn’t catch the heater until the next water change

I have heard some of the fancier angels can be more sensitive to water changes and temperatures.

I love my angels..when I do my water changes they sometime get stuck on top of the plants as the water drains bc they didn’t move into deeper water and they let me pick them up and move them to deeper water without flopping around or fighting

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Im
Sorry that is terrible to hear. I too have hard water and my angels literally took a beating with some of my mistakes and how often I forgot to plug their heater back in...they would go from a cozy 86 down to 72 overnight...sometimes I didn’t catch the heater until the next water change

I have heard some of the fancier angels can be more sensitive to water changes and temperatures.

I love my angels..when I do my water changes they sometime get stuck on top of the plants as the water drains bc they didn’t move into deeper water and they let me pick them up and move them to deeper water without flopping around or fighting
Yeah I've had allot of trial and error when I first started out. Lol still have a hard time keeping angels happy and healthy, mainly just due to their aggression/fragility. Had to get my puffers some blood worms today just to get em to stop nipping my angels fins. How 3 pea puffers, in a planted 55g, destroyed an entire colony of snails, numbering into the thousands, idk but I do know they started nipping fins shortly after the snails vanished.

• Wow
Reactions: Niki_up
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store