Angelfish School in Biotope Aquarium

MarcG19

Gambusia
Sep 6, 2016
Northern VA
Thought this was interesting.

a few days ago I was at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I was fairly impressed by their Amazon biotope tank - it was quite large and had a good mix of relatively compatible fish in it. Unfortunately, no discus - would have been nice, but I think they don't want to spend the money for fish that might be easily eaten (check out the "king" of the tank at the end)......

... and instead they have what look to be common Angelfish. One large one swam way off by himself in the "open water". Another trio hung out with each other in open water. But there was a big school that hung out near a fake tree stump - much like in the wild, I think.

Here's an example from the wild:

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
National Aquarium has a tank with discus around the corner from the big Amazon biotope. Unfortunately the discus tend to get ragged and outcompeted in a community setting... and would definitely not last in the big tank.

The Barnes and Noble across the way from the Aquarium has a huge Amazon biotope aquarium in its coffee shop. Haven't been since the pandemic so not sure if it's open but they've had discus there, if think, from time to time.

Reactions: Deadeye

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
If that big old pacu can avoid the caiman, I think that the angels should be safe.

MarcG19

Gambusia
Sep 6, 2016
Northern VA
Ahh. Either I missed the discus tank, or they took it down. But yeah I forgot about B&N - definitely should have popped by there.

If that big old pacu can avoid the caiman, I think that the angels should be safe.
HA! very true...... The caiman does look well fed. And IIRC there were several other fish larger than angels who probably would become gator food first.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store