Anomalochromis thomasi questions

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I have just picked up 7 of these guys, two of which have paired up in the QT. My main question is I'd like them to go in the 90 that has the 3 Turkana jewels, 5 male Congo tetras and a synodontis hybrid. If I rearrange the decor and add the Anomalochromis thomasi would this be a good fit? I could put less of them in and not the 7. I realize the Turkana jewels are from a rift lake and prefer harder water but they are doing great and spawned.

I am really just getting more into the African cichlids and not yet overly familiar with who goes with who. Years back I had kept them with kribs and jewels, my recollection from that was the little guys were really feisty with the jewels.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I would go with all 7. You never know how stable a pair is and if it lasts after moving. You still can separate some if necessary.

The H. exul are normally more mellow than most of their relatives but when breeding there is not much difference in aggression. I would keep a keen eye on their behaviour towards the other tank mates when the first signs of pair bonding occur.
Btw the by far best coulered exul I have seen where kept in very soft water with a pH around 6.5. As long as the water is clean they are way more adaptable to different water parameters than other rift lake fish.

Reactions: coltiger1975

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I would go with all 7. You never know how stable a pair is and if it lasts after moving. You still can separate some if necessary.

The H. exul are normally more mellow than most of their relatives but when breeding there is not much difference in aggression. I would keep a keen eye on their behaviour towards the other tank mates when the first signs of pair bonding occur.
Btw the by far best coulered exul I have seen where kept in very soft water with a pH around 6.5. As long as the water is clean they are way more adaptable to different water parameters than other rift lake fish.
I will give that a go, I will keep my eyes peeled for any aggression. I don't know if the Turkana will pair they have typically been keeping to themselves and occasionally one will chase another but nothing out of the ordinary. I was more worried about the thomasi as a couple have paired. Even though they're smaller I see they're quite brave for their size.

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated 👍

Reactions: Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store