another question

kunkira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Florida
i just noticed that my nitrite is high lvl. what can i do to lower them? they are 10.0 ppm

aro-guy246

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
Virginia, USA
Is this a new tank? If it is just sit back and relax, that is part of the cycling process... If it already has fish in it than you need to think about moving the fish elsewhere while the tank finishes cycling.

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
aro-guy246;1213074; said:
Is this a new tank? If it is just sit back and relax, that is part of the cycling process... If it already has fish in it than you need to think about moving the fish elsewhere while the tank finishes cycling.
What? Even if it were cycling you should still do water changes as ammonia build up will cause gill burn and various other infections that will lead to death almost always. This is why people do fishless cycling as it is safe and easy. I cycle my tanks with used media and Bio-Spira and I get the cycle time knocked down to one day full cycle. With all params stable and great. If she moved the fish there would be no ammonia source for the cycle to complete so... she would have to buy pure ammonia. Anyways 10ppm isn't bad but it is ok/not great. I personally keep mine at 3ppm sometimes 5ppm if i miss a water change. I just do multiple WC's a week on all my tanks. Usually around 50% WC twice a week keeps everything stable and in excellent shape. I also over filter my tanks with double the filtration needed. As I said there is nothing to be worried about 10ppm of nitrate as that is difficult for some to even attain with tanks that are over stocked. Adding plants will also keep the nitrate down a bit because the plants absorb it. If your not satisfied with the params and don't feel like doing tons of water changes buy a drip system with an RO/DI system and hook that up to a utility faucet. You can even start up a sump and have the drip RO/DI on the sump so there is nothing in the tank besides the overflow and return pipe. Just buy a pump with more head height so you get a stronger flow to keep from overflow. Or put ball valves in the plumbing so you can control levels in the sump. There are tons of options to get nitrate down to a minimum the question is how much time and money are you willing to spend.

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
water changes should lower it.

kunkira

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Florida
thank you all ^.^

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
BIG waterchanges. did you cycle the tank? If no, put very, very few fish in there (maybe 8 zebra danios for a 75g. Give the tank time to cycle. It would be even faster to seed you tank with material from a cycled tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store