Antibiotics

viperman100

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Rialto, Cali.
Anyone ever take antibiotics such as fishmox when you cant get to the dr and are in a pinch?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Nope. What possible excuse could justify risking the loss of a limb, an organ or a life because it's too inconvenient to go see a doctor or to go to the ER?

My son got bit by our cat once. His hand started to swell. Had I kept him home and played Dr. Welby and gave him fish antibiotics, he would have at least lost his hand.

My stepson got sepsis. Had he been kept home another 24 hours on home administered drugs, instead of getting a blood transfusion, he would have died.

Sorry. Unless you are trapped under ground from an earthquake and that's all you have, I don't see the excuse.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
do not take the fish meds. Many reasons first and for most it is not intended for human consumption. Also lots of other reasons. You won't be likely to reach therapeutic dosage. Also keep in mind many fish medications have been banned for use in people due ot safety margins. Also not to mentioned the fish meds are not well regulated and who knows what you will be actually be taking and the concentration.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I've compared human and "pet" ciprofloxacin tables and amoxicillin capsules and they're identical down to the markings. I just use whatever's oldest to rotate my stock. The amoxicillin was for tooth abscesses and I'd know within a few hours if it wasn't real.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I can't recommend it for legal reasons but I have done it. In fact it saved my life and likely lots of money. I used to be broke, like beyond broke nothing and almost lost my life to illness.

I was infected with Borellia Burgdorferi, Babesia microti, mycoplasma, and bartonella henselae from a nasty dirty tick bite (lyme disease with co-infections). I was misdiagnosed for years and improperly treated because of stubborn CDC guidelines and doctors who refused to acknowledge that I may have more than just lyme (borellia). My life was in shambles, I lost my career and was losing my mind along with my health. I took my life in my own hands and took a variety of mexican and veterinarian drugs including doxycycline for fish. I suffered no ill consequences except relief from the systemic infections I was suffering from.

Drstrangelove your child likely had bartonella henselae which I mentioned earlier and I also suffered from. it's commonly referred to as Cat scratch fever. I caught it from a tick which also spreads the disease. The likely reason your son didn't recover is because you were using the incorrect antibiotic. despite months of doxycycline my Bartonella symptoms never went away. it wasn't until I started taking rifampin that bartonella symptoms eased. So the problem was likely with selecting a proper drug rather than the source of the drug that was administered. This is a risk self medicating, you may select the wrong drug which could do harm. If you have the proper drug, I believe whether it is veterinary or human is of little consequence.

I took the doxycycline for almost 8 months along with periodic bouts of rifampin and metronidazole. (doxy and metro were both from fish sources) My liver values stayed stable, and my symptoms slowly subsided from my infections. In my case it was 100% worth it to take fish antibiotics and if I were in the same situation again I would do it in a heartbeat. Some of it is manufactured in the same facility then just pressed into different sized tabs or capsules. Sure there's a risk. But I now have my life back and am extremely successful, I am thankful I had the courage to take my life in my own hands.

I would take American manufactured fish medicine over Mexican human medicine any day. If you're sick with an infection to the point where you're desperate enough to take fish meds isn't the drug purity the last thing you care about? If you're confident it's the proper drug, that should be the main focus IMO.

Reactions: viperman100

viperman100

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Rialto, Cali.
I had looked into it when the question was asked to me. I knew that it was possible and some have used them, my question was simply has anyone here tried that. I myself have not nor do i plan to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store