Anubias Advice

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I got a 180 gallon tank and it's full of Anubias.

I have 2 fluval 24" plant lights on the tank now going about 8 hours a day.
During the transfer some of the leaves got yellow and on one of the long roots all the leaves came off. The root is over 3 feet long.
My question is should I cut all the leaves at the stem by the root with holes and yellow off? Also on the long root with no leaves should I cut that root into 8" pieces or just leave it alone and wait for shoots to sprout?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I've dealt with Anubias leaves turning yellow and every time it happened once they turned yellow there was no hope for the leaf. I'd simply cut off all the leaves.
I'm not entirely sure about your second question but it would appear to me as if not cutting it would be most beneficial as the plant would have to use more energy to get re-established then start growing leaves as where if it is left it can spend the energy it was going to use getting re-established producing leaves.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Here is a close up there is a shoot sprout at the end of the root. I was hoping to keep the long root. I heard if I made small cuts with a razor blade along with root stems will sprout from the cuts?

20190410_140448.jpg

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The damaged leaves should be removed. They won't recover. The easiest and safest to the remove the leaves is by pressing in the opposite direction of the growth of the leave at the base, where it meets the root. The come off easily like that. No need for scissors.

As for cutting the root, up to you, either should work. Personally, I think it may grow nicer if you cut it in smaller sizes as it is not certain all sections of the big root would grow leaves, so may start looking a bit bare. Razor blade should work.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Thanks so much for the fast reply! I will do that right away.
I kinda like the big root itself it's over 10 years old. I am thinking of leaving it tied to driftwood and only cut it if it starts yellowing...

Reactions: Coryloach

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Okay well the Anubias is really starting to shape up after the trim down.
I added a 4' current led plus and have been keeping the lights on 10 hours a day.
My friend gave me 2 dozen wild cought
black ghost knifes and they are loving the plants!
The leaf fish have been stalking the feeders. I added 100 feeders that I been gut loading and just Prazipro the tank.
Any advice on the Anubias would be appreciated. I was thinking of leaving the lights on 14 hours a day.

20190412_151407.jpg

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
With anubias I've found success in keeping long levels of light, in my case 10 hours, as long as the intensity is low. Keep in mind though that all lights we put on tanks are different and there is a "light compensation point" with plants below which they can't function and they die.

I have a 9 year old tank full with anubias. It is a small tank and has no critters bar shrimp and snails but I've kept that sort of upkeep with it throughout the years. It is thriving with zero algae on it, which is very common in higher light than necessary. It's trial and error figuring it out. If you see algae, chances are too high intensity light or too long of a light period.

Also, it does very well with its roots in the substrate but rhizome above. For the purpose I just hold the rhizome down with some stones. The roots then grow into the substrate. My best anubias has grown that way, rather than being attached to wood.

Good luck. It is a really great looking tank.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Thank you so much!
I been hearing about growing the roots in the substrate it does sound like the best plan...
I have it set up as a bare bottom tank now, I still have some Anubias I need to add so I'm thinking maybe putting gravel in for just 25% of the tank on one end and loading that gravel with Anubias roots!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store